Wharfedale ID1: Isodynamic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It so happens that while i was looking to re cable my vintage pair of Wharfedale Isodynamics, the pro genesis to commercial orthodynamic headphones, i messed it up and yanked on the cable joint a bit too hard.
The trace wire came right off, so with my heart in my mouth I gingerly went about opening up the ID1 to see if there was any hint of a trace wire left so I could resurrect this wonderful fugly headphone and in the process figured I'd post pics of the diaphragm.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

There are a bunch of them and all high resolution. so 56k users beware...

The fact taht this headphone was built for a measly sum of 20 quids back in the beginning of the 70s shows in the way they have used plastic posts to hold the magnet structure togethere and the diaphragm is stretched by placing it within these posts.
Simple construction really. Rubber magnets, from a refrigerator or a washing machine rounds up the most inefficient of orthodynamic headphones ever made...and perhaps headphones in particular.

Will try to reattch the wires without worsening the situation.

oh and hey!!..what do you know, a headphones section on diyaudio.com..huzzah!!
dance-smiley-smiley-4988792-100-100.gif

Sach, I can't believe you tugged it's wire off!!

Bad sachu!! I've done the same with a few Fostex T50s :( Took the pad clean off the PCB
man i almost died when that side started reading open.
and quite aptly an orthodynamic one to help us ponder our meager beginnings.

Hope you get that trace reconnected sachi, it would be a shame to lose the headphones..dB

Happy to report that the surgery is successful. Am going to put away the thought of recabling these for another time. Right now, I shut the driver with super glue and have a clamp to keep it tight for the night. Will put it back together tomorrow and see how she sounds.

Going to remove the front baffle protection cover and see if it makes any difference. The cover they are using is a thick plastic material with holes in it. In no sense of the word is it acoustically transparent, but we'll see if it there is more to the plastic protection cover tan just to keep dust away from the driver.
I am amazed by the simplicity in the design of these headphones. Blown away really.

Oh, and Sachi, only one pic is showing up and it will not enlarge... Not sure if it's the linked image or the new forum though.

Yeah no idea why..but, here a link that should work. Again 56k users, i wouldn't bother.

Yfrog - id1diaphragm008 - Uploaded by sachik

Yeah, it's the strangest driver design ever and totally unique amongst headphones. Corrugated sheet, only clamped at two ends, unsealed front to back. The baffle is open front to back too, though the pads cover a good portion of the perforations, and the cup is open front and back. Should never work and whoever designed it was either retarded or a genius, can't quite decide which ;)

How it makes bass is still a complete mystery to me... but there it is! :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.