Aleph headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just about the only way to improve on <a href="http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2451">tortello's beautiful Zen headphone amp</a> is to go for an Aleph headphone amp. The advantages are the balanced FET front-end and the DC-coupled output. This design is specified to put 500mW into Grado headphones, or other phones with about 32Ω impedance. It should also drive a small speaker, and indeed has done so in a breadboard incarnation.

Right now the only thing I'm not liking is the high value of the current sense resistor. I used it in my breadboard mockup but I might change it for something smaller.

One channel shown.

Attachments

• headamp.png
    headamp.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 3,904
Take 2. The front-end doesn't have enough headroom with that 9.1V reference, so reduce to 5.7V via an LED string. Switch to 2sj109 monolithic FET pair. Increase idle current to about 220mA. DIscard C3 and C4.

Attachments

• headamp.png
    headamp.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 3,396
Hi Edwin. It's going well. I got a Sun 411 SCSI case to put the amp in and modified it for XLR connectors. I'm still in the process of drawing the printed circuit board. Hopefully I will finish it next weekend.

I also increased the design rail voltage to 14V.

jwb said:
Hi Edwin. It's going well. I got a Sun 411 SCSI case to put the amp in and modified it for XLR connectors. I'm still in the process of drawing the printed circuit board. Hopefully I will finish it next weekend.

I also increased the design rail voltage to 14V.

Did you listen to it? How does it sound? What did you use before building this Aleph headphone amp?

Edwin

Re: Powersupply

Edwin Dorre said:

Did you listen to it? How does it sound? What did you use before building this Aleph headphone amp?

I have listened to one channel on a breadboard. It sounds rather bad! But it is powerful and the bad sound is a result of poor layout, I hope.

My previous headphone amp was the Sheldon Stokes design seen on Headwize.

swede said:
So, how about the PS?

Are you going for an unregulated supply, or are you using a regulated?

I've been schetching on a regulated PS based on the circuit explained in the A75 article part 2, which I will use for my Aleph headphone amp.

I am using four separate Sulzer regulators with AD797 error amp and ZTX869 for the pass transistor. The power dissipation is low enough to not require a big power transistor.

Cheers :drink:

Case finished

These Sun 411 SCSI cases are awesome for audio projects. The SCSI connector cutout is just the right size for two Neutrik XLR jacks. And, the case comes fully shielded contains a switched, fused power entry module. What more could I ask for?

Attachments

• image(06).jpg
    image(06).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,979
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.