Help with Morgan Jones headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I usually post at HeadWize, but the forum is down so I am here for some help, if you'll have me! I just finished my Morgan Jones Earmax copy with feedback

HeadWize - Project: The Morgan Jones Mini Tube Headphone Amplifier by Chu Moy

What I want to do is put bypass caps on the headphone jack so that when I plug in/unplug the headphones there is no POP. Just wondering what a good value/rating would be for these caps. Thanks in advance for any help! Oh and the amp sounds fantastic, great detail and warmth, much MUCH better than listening plugged into my computer or iPod directly.

azazello, I'm not sure I undestand. In what case would I want to change the value of R7? What is the benefit?

Stixx- It's not that there is an immense pop or anything, just the normal crackle of unplugging headphones, my thinking was that I could minimize this with a cap from R and L to ground.

So with R7 at 10K when I switch on the amp with no load I see the VDC across the output go up to 50v over the coarse of about 3 seconds, then back down to zero after about 4 seconds. WTF? The output caps were totally discharged when I turned it on, could this have something to do with it?

If You put small cap, You will loss the bass !
The cap must be Black Gate, ELNA, Nichicon for good quality of music.
If there isn't R7, on output there is U = Ua output tube.
When You plug the headphones You will hear big PUP, and maybe You will loss Your
headphones. Thank to R7 after 30-40 sec, Uoutput will be aprox 0 !
With 10 kohm U out will go faster to 0 .

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.