Headphone reccomendations - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2003, 11:51 AM   #11
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Havoc
You have the AKG 240 and the AKG 240DF. Quite different headphones apart from the first part of the name.
I must admit I forgot if it was the 240 or the 240DF.
You see, life is full of surprises, and listening experience can be quite different from person to person.

/Hugo - never has cold ears with his DT990
Old 17th May 2003, 12:23 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Those two last were only dreams...
Aha! To be honest, my short list was:
Stax Lambda SR Pro, AKG 240DF and Beyer DT990Pro. But the Stax was off it as soon as I heard the price And that was without the matching amp.
Old 17th May 2003, 06:35 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Havoc
Aha! To be honest, my short list was:
Stax Lambda SR Pro, AKG 240DF and Beyer DT990Pro. But the Stax was off it as soon as I heard the price And that was without the matching amp.
Last November I picked up a pair of STAX Lambda Pro's off ebay for $US240. The owner had bought Omega's. They'd been factory refurbished a while back (have receipts) and I can show you at least 6 amolifier designs, both tube and sand which you could probably build for $150, and I bet all of them would waste the STAX amps. This is a DIY forum after all.

The STAX are sooooo superior to all dynamics you can't listen to them afterwards. I've owned STAX Lambda Pro's since the mid 80's, and have heard lots of dynamics and dynamic amps, and none have even come close.
Old 17th May 2003, 07:19 AM   #14
Raj1 is offline Raj1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default hd 580

Hi everyone,

The sennheiser hd580's are available at around 95 or so, and I was thinking that perhaps they outperform everything in this range upto 100 and beyond? Anyone made any comparisons with these headphones?

Thanks
Raja
Old 17th May 2003, 07:59 AM   #15
diyAudio Moderator

Default Allow me to be contrary

IMHO, as someone who spends a good portion of his working life wearing HP, the most important thing is NOT sound quality, but comfort.

You should always test fit HP in a dealer or at friends, never buy them blind, it would be like going into a shoe shop and just buying the first pair off the shelf you liked. They could be 1000 Italian designer shoes, but if they are size 8, and your feet are size 10, they are worse than useless.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 18th May 2003, 06:53 PM   #16
Raj1 is offline Raj1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default hd580's

Hi Guys,

Have ordered the hd580's. I listened to the 590's on saturday, and was very impressed, but didn't buy them in that particular shop as they were priced at 160 !!!!! I knew thay could be had for less, and also checked out the general concensus with comparisons to the 600's and 580's. I went for the 580's as I think they offer the best price compromise at present (for 95 new). Thanks for the info everyone.

Thanks
Raja

Hide this!Advertise here!