HA-2 Wheatfield headphone amp query

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
no bypassing on that 20w 2k resistor. i used a 25w, thermal grease, and an el grande heat sink. that sink gets hot too, but not painful.

i'm having a real bear of a time hunting out some bad hum on mine. i'd suggest avoiding the 200 series hammond transformers like the plague. mine has some serious mechanical noise.

I get nearly 300v on the B+, but I had to use a 5ar4 to get there. My 6H 120 ohm choke has more resistance than the Hammond 193H that I'm guessing is used in the real thing so I needed a bit of help.

I've observed that keeping the voltage up is important to sound quality. As B+ goes down, distortion goes up according to my ears. 250v doesn't seem to be enough.

I don't think I've taken any measurements other than B+

You may be able to parallel the 20W with a 22k 5W wire wound?

n_maher's "The Menace" is a sort of perfection of the HA-2 in my opinion.

You may be able to parallel the 20W with a 22k 5W wire wound?

Thought about that. Think the closest I've got is 15k AT 5w :(

Not so easy to get parts down here in Uruguay. Have to wait weeks for anything to get delivered from Europe.

As B+ goes down, distortion goes up according to my ears. 250v doesn't seem to be enough.

That's a pity. Don't fancy forking out for a new piece of iron at the moment.

What would be the lowest resistors in the psu I could use at 5 Watts? I could parallel some I guess.
Let me try the psu2 again.

update: 100 ohm resistors in the psu get me up to 290 V B+

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.