Cmoy Headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have built one of these using a schematic. I am having some problems getting a stereo output. If I join one of the input channels to the headphone socket ground I get stereo. If not I only get mono.

I also have an issue with the volume pot. At low volumes it is mono, bit louder, stereo, bit louder, mostly in right ear.

I have a DC reading mis-match at the headphone out of 23mv on one channel and 182mv on the other.

Can anyone help?

I think this schematic can be very confusing. For one, it can lead you to believe that a single 10k potentiometer is enough for both channels, which is wrong. For stereo, you obviously need a dual potentiometer, one that controls both inputs with the same knob.

What kind of potentiometer are you using?

Hey Puffin. Your first paragraph suggests that perhaps two different problems may exist. It sounds like maybe you have one input reverse-phase. Probably in the wiring of the input volume control. The source device will use a common ground, so when you touch one input to ground, you get both channels.

An out-of-phase condition is much easier to identify with speakers, because the bass cancels. But not so with headphones.

It also sounds like you may have greater gain in one channel than the other. But then again, this may just be a quirk of the mis-wiring.

So . . . I'd double check the pot wiring real close first. (Input wiring too.) See what that does, then recheck your resistor values if there's still a problem.

Hope this helps.
Artie

connectors

Puffin, sometimes those minijack and 1/4" connectors are funny and don't conduct consistently. I have a miniplug that is new from digikey and does not conduct on the left channel unless bent a certain amount but it looks perfect.

You may want to check you connectors if your wiring looks ok. Or post a pic of your wiring and people here will look at it.

Finally got it sorted. I was using only one 9v battery. I then decided to try two 9v batts with a centre tap. It turned out it was a grounding issue with one part of the circuit having to be attached to the centre tap and then I messed around with other bits of grounding and finally got a fully working stereo cmoy!

Sounds very good. I have ordered a "blue jelly" from ebay and so I now have something to compare it with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.