Cmoy Headphone amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Cmoy Headphone amp

I have built one of these using a schematic. I am having some problems getting a stereo output. If I join one of the input channels to the headphone socket ground I get stereo. If not I only get mono.

I also have an issue with the volume pot. At low volumes it is mono, bit louder, stereo, bit louder, mostly in right ear.

I have a DC reading mis-match at the headphone out of 23mv on one channel and 182mv on the other.

Can anyone help?
Old 11th May 2009, 03:55 PM   #2
Atilla is offline Atilla  Norway
diyAudio Member

Ok, all of this sounds wrong, so you'd better start posting the exact schematic you used, some photos if possible, and a little more detail on what you have connected where.
Old 11th May 2009, 06:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Schematic/layout here

http://bp2.blogger.com/_0URxOBSyTPQ/...b_standard.jpg
Old 11th May 2009, 07:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I think this schematic can be very confusing. For one, it can lead you to believe that a single 10k potentiometer is enough for both channels, which is wrong. For stereo, you obviously need a dual potentiometer, one that controls both inputs with the same knob.

What kind of potentiometer are you using?
Old 11th May 2009, 07:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I am using a dual pot.
Old 12th May 2009, 09:05 AM   #6
Artie is offline Artie  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Puffin. Your first paragraph suggests that perhaps two different problems may exist. It sounds like maybe you have one input reverse-phase. Probably in the wiring of the input volume control. The source device will use a common ground, so when you touch one input to ground, you get both channels.

An out-of-phase condition is much easier to identify with speakers, because the bass cancels. But not so with headphones.

It also sounds like you may have greater gain in one channel than the other. But then again, this may just be a quirk of the mis-wiring.

So . . . I'd double check the pot wiring real close first. (Input wiring too.) See what that does, then recheck your resistor values if there's still a problem.

Hope this helps.
Artie
Old 12th May 2009, 09:49 AM   #7
mjf is offline mjf  Austria
diyAudio Member

hello.
ground connection between the two 9v batteries?
greetings............
Old 12th May 2009, 10:10 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

There is a virtual ground, based on the resistor dividers and the caps. The schematic looks fine, I guess it's only the wiring that is mistaken. Check carefully how the inputs and outputs are wired.
Old 12th May 2009, 02:02 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all your replies. I have been looking at the thing and trying various wiring combinations for the last 2 nights. I may have to start from scratch again.

I'll let you know how I get on.
Old 15th May 2009, 04:55 AM   #10
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default connectors

Puffin, sometimes those minijack and 1/4" connectors are funny and don't conduct consistently. I have a miniplug that is new from digikey and does not conduct on the left channel unless bent a certain amount but it looks perfect.

You may want to check you connectors if your wiring looks ok. Or post a pic of your wiring and people here will look at it.

Hide this!Advertise here!