Which Headphone Amp to ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to make a headphone amp. I am thinking class-A discrete but am open to ideas (have already made a CMoy).

Any ideas on which one to build. I am aware of the HeadWize amps, including Szekeres, Gilmore, Zen/ Pellerano. I have Grado's with low impedance.

Have I missed something good? Ideas?

lgreen,
this is a much better version.

Attachments

• ck2_left_sch.png
    ck2_left_sch.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 415
It's not just some resistor values that differs. One has JFET input transistors and CFP output stage and the other bipolar input transistors and darlington output stage.

The one with JFET input is a newer version by Alex Cavalli/Ti Kan, and it's supported with building instructions, measurements, PCB and some of the parts at http://www.amb.org/audio/.. You'll also find two other class A amps there.

I think (unlike others here ;)) there's a distinct JFET vs bibolar sound, and it's a matter of taste which one you like. I haven't built this exact amp, but some similar to them and used both JFET and bipolar as input stage.

If you're deep into DIY'ing there's a world of possibilities. All amps can be downsized to a headphone amp.

nelsonvandal said:
It's not just some resistor values that differs. One has JFET input transistors and CFP output stage and the other bipolar input transistors and darlington output stage.

Right, I didn't look at it closely late last night, just enough to see that they looked similar and had some different values throughout.

This looks like a good project, the board is a little big for my case but I bet I could slice off the power supply section to make it fit.

I have not seen that web site before so thanks for the link.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.