headphone bypass jack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope this is the right section, I am building the RUBY, namely a 386 chip based amp. I ran across the schematic of adding a headphone bypass jack to the amp here: http://runoffgroove.com/phones.png
I am having difficulties understanding it, I am wondering what am I connecting to the speaker's +? Because the amp is mono, it makes sense that the tip is connected to the output cap, the sleeve is grounded, and the ring shouldn't be used since its mono correct? so how does it disable the speaker?

Thanks!

This uses a 'shorting/switching'-type phone jack.
Without a plug inserted in the jack, the + speaker lead is connected to the source. When a phone plug is inserted, the speaker is disconnected.

I've mangled the diagram to show the situation when no phone plug is inserted.

Cheers
John

Attachments

• phones2.png
    phones2.png
    4 KB · Views: 288
I'd think for most audio applications (and standard headphones) you'd want a stereo shorting jack. (3 conductors, 5 lugs)
Switchcraft Data Sheet

Switchcraft 14B jack: Mouser, Digikey Part#s

The mono version is the 12A by Switchcraft. They also make versions with longer threaded barrels, L12A, etc.

You should be able to get one of these from any decent electronics supplier. It's enough trouble connecting these up that it pays to avoid the cheaper brands, IMO.

Cheers
John

nukaidee said:
any other cheaper shipping suppliers in canada?

Allied ships inside Canada, but I don't buy from them much. Prices seem a bit high, and I had a problem with some Neutrik jacks from them that didn't come with the correct washers/ferrules.

I haven't dealt with Electrosonic in Toronto for 20yrs- they used to be more set up for commercial accounts, as I recall.

justradios.com is a good ('ordinary') resistor/capacitor supplier- small family business with good service. Mostly oriented toward tube (higher voltage) caps.
TheTubeStore in Hamilton is reasonable for new tubes.

John

nukaidee said:
does anyone see this product at smallbearelec? http://www.smallbearelec.com/home.html
they've got good prices, but I dont seem to see the exact one, or am i missing something?

thanks

It looks like the Neutrik NYS212 will do the job of the Switchcraft 14B- stereo and switched contacts. The standard price for these is 90 cents everywhere I looked (Mouser, PartsExpress), so take your pick.
John
BTW, I didn't answer your Q about where I buy parts- It's Digikey, Mouser,PartsExpress, apexjr, Hoffman amps for US suppliers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.