F1 Headphone amp fo HD650 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2008, 03:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default F1 Headphone amp fo HD650

I would like to try this. What rail voltage should I run it at?
Old 7th November 2008, 05:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I was at the Head-fi show a couple of years ago, and a vendor was demonstrating cables with this exact set-up.

The HD-650's had a custom cable that terminated into a pair of XLR connectors, and plugged directly into a factory F1.

What did it sound like? Well, it was a very strident an clinical sounding. My impression was the F1 has too much power as a headphone amp and not properly impedance matched for the HD-650.

It would be interesting to see how well a DIY F1 would perform as a properly tuned and dedicated headphone amp.

I'm kind of surprised that Nelson has not built a headphone amp either as a DIY article or as a commercial offering.

-David
Old 7th November 2008, 06:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default balanced output to headphones

How do they run balanced into a headphone? Do they tie the 2 gnds together and connect out+ and out- or do they tie out- to gnd?

I've been wanting to build a Pass inspired design headamp but don't know which one to build. I'm against building a full-out F2 as a headamp and so far, I'm considering the F4 variant or possibly the Zen variant that's been around for a while. Any thoughts or impressions are much appreciated
Old 7th November 2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: balanced output to headphones

Quote:
Originally posted by twitchie
How do they run balanced into a headphone? Do they tie the 2 gnds together and connect out+ and out- or do they tie out- to gnd?

I've been wanting to build a Pass inspired design headamp but don't know which one to build. I'm against building a full-out F2 as a headamp and so far, I'm considering the F4 variant or possibly the Zen variant that's been around for a while. Any thoughts or impressions are much appreciated

balanced headphones - same as speakers - each earphone has own two-cord cable

you need either 4-pole XLR or two mono 6,3mm jacks for connecting ;

or even Speakon connector
Old 7th November 2008, 06:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Here's an online article that describes how headphones work in a balanced configuration.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/b...hones/one.html

-David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg balancedsenn.jpg (45.2 KB, 501 views)
Old 7th November 2008, 06:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Balanced headphone schematic attached.

-David
Attached Images
File Type: gif balancedamp.gif (30.9 KB, 589 views)
Old 9th November 2008, 02:26 PM   #7
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Default Head amps

Ive got some HD600 that need their cords replaced anyways.

I was considering potentially seeing how a somewhat stock Pumpkin can do here for phones, if and when I get it completed.

Maybe ZM can offer some tuning tips - that are probably lost somewhere in the threads.

Maybe an F2 lite can be developed for this. It's (f2) an easy amp build (I know I've done it).
An F3 lite sounds maybe even better, and there are some surfacing of some PowerJfets about.

Anyways, I guess something in the order of 3/4 watt is what we are looking at.
Old 9th November 2008, 07:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I had thought of an F3 just because of it's triode character... In the end, I want to use a transconductance amplifier fed by a DIY music server using tube output. I figure that if it is as transparent as I have read, I should only hear the server's signature. If I can use the F1 in stock form, I can use the same amp for the HT full rangers and just wire a switch when I want to listen to cans. Should I be concerned with the amount of current the F1 puts out to the cans?
Old 17th November 2008, 03:26 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Has anyone any idea on how to adapt a F1 for 300 ohm cans? Do I need to lower the voltage? Can I leave it alone and just reduce the gain from my pre? I could use some help to scale it down.

Hide this!Advertise here!