F1 Headphone amp fo HD650

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was at the Head-fi show a couple of years ago, and a vendor was demonstrating cables with this exact set-up.

The HD-650's had a custom cable that terminated into a pair of XLR connectors, and plugged directly into a factory F1.

What did it sound like? Well, it was a very strident an clinical sounding. My impression was the F1 has too much power as a headphone amp and not properly impedance matched for the HD-650.

It would be interesting to see how well a DIY F1 would perform as a properly tuned and dedicated headphone amp.

I'm kind of surprised that Nelson has not built a headphone amp either as a DIY article or as a commercial offering.

-David

Joined 2004
Paid Member
balanced output to headphones

How do they run balanced into a headphone? Do they tie the 2 gnds together and connect out+ and out- or do they tie out- to gnd?

I've been wanting to build a Pass inspired design headamp but don't know which one to build. I'm against building a full-out F2 as a headamp and so far, I'm considering the F4 variant or possibly the Zen variant that's been around for a while. Any thoughts or impressions are much appreciated :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: balanced output to headphones

twitchie said:
How do they run balanced into a headphone? Do they tie the 2 gnds together and connect out+ and out- or do they tie out- to gnd?

I've been wanting to build a Pass inspired design headamp but don't know which one to build. I'm against building a full-out F2 as a headamp and so far, I'm considering the F4 variant or possibly the Zen variant that's been around for a while. Any thoughts or impressions are much appreciated :)

balanced headphones - same as speakers - each earphone has own two-cord cable

you need either 4-pole XLR or two mono 6,3mm jacks for connecting ;

or even Speakon connector

Attachments

• balancedsenn.jpg
    balancedsenn.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 560
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Head amps

Ive got some HD600 that need their cords replaced anyways.

I was considering potentially seeing how a somewhat stock Pumpkin can do here for phones, if and when I get it completed.

Maybe ZM can offer some tuning tips - that are probably lost somewhere in the :Pumpkin: threads.

Maybe an F2 lite can be developed for this. It's (f2) an easy amp build (I know I've done it).
An F3 lite sounds maybe even better, and there are some surfacing of some PowerJfets about.

Anyways, I guess something in the order of 3/4 watt is what we are looking at.

I had thought of an F3 just because of it's triode character... In the end, I want to use a transconductance amplifier fed by a DIY music server using tube output. I figure that if it is as transparent as I have read, I should only hear the server's signature. If I can use the F1 in stock form, I can use the same amp for the HT full rangers and just wire a switch when I want to listen to cans. Should I be concerned with the amount of current the F1 puts out to the cans?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.