Has anybody made an ELS headphone? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2008, 03:55 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

I tested a 0.4 mm spacer with food wrap plastic as diaphragm. I have to say that I am now very confused. I can't get any sound at all at 600V, 900V or even 1200V. I check and check for any mistake that I might have done and I couldn't find any.

My configuration now is 1mm stator, 0.4mm spacer, diaphragm, 0.4mm spacer, and 1mm stator. I coated the diaphragm with graphite powder this time.

Is it possible that the diaphragm was suck to one side? How can you tell if that is the case?

Wachara C.
Old 8th November 2008, 02:49 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

or, there was no contact between your bias supply and the diaphragm?

you could try holding it up against a light bulb. if you have the correct angle you can see the diaphragm, maybe this works?
Old 10th November 2008, 04:57 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Atarashi,

It's all my own fault. My conductive material doesn't contact with the diaphragm very well and therefore no electricity goes to the diaphragm. I also have a problem with my 0.4 mm and 0.5 mm spacer. I have tried a few type of glues and they don't stick to the diaphragm well. I now go back to my original spacer which is 1 mm thick and I am using around 1200V as bias voltage.

I've just found out also that I had a mismatch of impedances between the output of my amplifier and the input of my headphone. I now use 4 ohm output tap from my 2A3SE to drive the headphone and it is now singing beautifully.

I am still searching for a thinner material to use as spacer and also a thinner mylar. But as for now, I'm happy.

Wachara C.
Old 11th November 2008, 05:47 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

I tried with lower volatges. At 900V, using a 2A3SE amp and a preamp, the headphone sounds OK. But with 600V, the sound is a little too soft.
Old 11th November 2008, 07:32 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Well, good to hear that you make progress!

try to find a thinner diaphragm, and spacers in the 0.5 - 0.6 mm region, and with around 600V bias and either a nice step-up or (better?) a direct drive amp you will see what is really possible with electrostatic headphones...
(hint: a lot!)

so, good luck and enjoy your headphones!
Old 11th November 2008, 12:41 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Atarashi,

Thanks for all your help. I have just tried the headphone with my 6528SE amp and my pre amp, and it sounds even better. I can't wait to build a headphone amp for it.

Yes, I will try to source the spacer and diaphragm material. Now that I know what I am doing, I might build a pair of speakers.

Old 22nd April 2009, 06:45 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Well, I few months have passed, and I have finished making two models of ES headphone. I just want to post some pictures here and to thank you all for helping me making this project a success.

Wachara C
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23102008648-small.jpg (35.3 KB, 1230 views)
Old 22nd April 2009, 06:49 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

For my 2nd version, I made the stator and diaphragm into an oval shape. The size is 8x12 cm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25012009758-small.jpg (38.7 KB, 1242 views)
Old 22nd April 2009, 06:52 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

I also made an amplifier to drive the headphone. It sounds wonderful. Actually it sounds far better than any other headphones that I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001jpg_medium.jpg (53.4 KB, 1251 views)
Old 22nd April 2009, 06:58 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Here it is with the cushions on. The diaphragm that I am using now is 6 microns mylar. The bass goes down a lot lower than 11 microns food wrap. I wonder if I change to something even thinner, will the low frequency response be even better?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08042009854-small.jpg (26.4 KB, 1124 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!