Has anybody made an ELS headphone? - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2009, 03:31 PM   #211
diyAudio Member

Baader AstroSolar Safety Film
Old 27th October 2009, 04:07 AM   #212
diyAudio Member

Hi Jurek,

What is it that you are trying to show? The link is a bad one.

Wachara C.
Old 17th November 2009, 03:36 PM   #213
diyAudio Member

Hi Matt, Arend-Jan, Calvin,

How is your progress on the headphone and amp? It's been a while, and I feel that I should start to give you some pressure.

Wachara C.
Old 18th November 2009, 02:34 PM   #214
diyAudio Member

I suppose we do need a kick in the ***

The last experiment I did was to choose the optimal resonance frequency. Do you happen to know what the resonance frequency of your headphones is?
Old 18th November 2009, 02:46 PM   #215
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arend-jan View Post
I suppose we do need a kick in the ***

The last experiment I did was to choose the optimal resonance frequency. Do you happen to know what the resonance frequency of your headphones is?
Hi Arend-Jan,

I hope you don't mind my kicking in your ***.

No, I do not know the resonance frequency. Perhaps if you can tell me how to measure it, I'll try.

Wachara C.
Old 19th November 2009, 06:06 PM   #216
vaughn is offline vaughn  United States
diyAudio Member

I used my headphones initially for about 2 hours before I decided to install new diaphragms on them...

I installed new diaphragms and listened off and on for about 3 hours and then they stopped working completely. I went back and checked all of my voltages on my amp and everything checked out fine. No sound from the headphones though...

That is where I left it awhile ago. I'm not sure if I need to install another set of diaphragms or what the problem is. I plan on going back in and reworking and tidying up some of my wiring on the amp, I just haven't gotten to it.

Hopefully some of the others will have better luck and post pictures here to inspire me!
Old 20th November 2009, 04:27 AM   #217
diyAudio Member

Hi Matt,

I'm not sure what the problem is with your headphones. Did you insulate the copper side of the stators? I don't think that you need do redo the diaphragms. You might need to make sure that the diaphragms are where they are supposed to be at. That is they should not be sucked and stuck to either side of the stators. If that is the case, you will not hear anything.

What diaphragm coating formula did you use? When you listened to them before they went bad, how did you like the sound?

Do you still need an inspiration? I can tell you this. I'm invited to take my headphones and amp to show at Bangkok Audio Visual show next week. I'll take some pictures to show you later.

Last weekend I had a group of friends coming to my house just to listen to my headphones and speakers. They liked them.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by chinsettawong; 20th November 2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 20th November 2009, 08:42 AM   #218
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

sorry to say, but nothing new in the west

Calvin
Old 20th November 2009, 02:33 PM   #219
vaughn is offline vaughn  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinsettawong View Post
Hi Matt,

I'm not sure what the problem is with your headphones. Did you insulate the copper side of the stators? I don't think that you need do redo the diaphragms. You might need to make sure that the diaphragms are where they are supposed to be at. That is they should not be sucked and stuck to either side of the stators. If that is the case, you will not hear anything.

What diaphragm coating formula did you use? When you listened to them before they went bad, how did you like the sound?

Do you still need an inspiration? I can tell you this. I'm invited to take my headphones and amp to show at Bangkok Audio Visual show next week. I'll take some pictures to show you later.

Last weekend I had a group of friends coming to my house just to listen to my headphones and speakers. They liked them.

Click the image to open in full size.
Hi Wachara,
I used the formula you provided with PVA glue and graphite and water. It is possible that the diaphragms are sticking as when I opened them up after my first try at a diaphragm one side was sticking and distorting. I have to say when I installed the second set of diaphragms and was listening they were sounding very good It was odd that both sides stopped working at the same time though. That makes me think something is going on with the energizer, but as I said before my voltages tested fine. I built the energizer with ceramic sockets that appear to be complete crap as the slightest movement of a tube causes intermittent contact. I think I am going to order some better quality sockets and rebuild the amp and see where that takes me.
Old 20th November 2009, 03:02 PM   #220
diyAudio Member

Hi Matt,

If the diaphragm sticks to one side of the two stators, the tension might not have been enough. You can use a hair blower and try to heat shrink the diaphragms a little bit. Also, it might help if you can paint the copper side of the stator. I painted mine with 3 layers of plastic paint, and it worked fine.

You are almost there. Please try.

Wachara C.

Hide this!Advertise here!