Has anybody made an ELS headphone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Matt,

If the diaphragm sticks to one side of the two stators, the tension might not have been enough. You can use a hair blower and try to heat shrink the diaphragms a little bit. Also, it might help if you can paint the copper side of the stator. I painted mine with 3 layers of plastic paint, and it worked fine.

You are almost there. Please try. :D

Wachara C.

Thanks Wachara, I will try both of those things when I open them back up. I did find that the earpads for Koss ESP950 headphones work quite well on these with a little modification of the housing. I will take pictures and post them.

Thanks Wachara, I will try both of those things when I open them back up. I did find that the earpads for Koss ESP950 headphones work quite well on these with a little modification of the housing. I will take pictures and post them.

Hi Matt,

Please try again. You are almost there. Please don't give up. :)

About the earpads, where do you buy them from? How do they fit after the modification?

Wachara C.

Hi everyone.

Been reading this thread with interest and am thinking of giving some headphones a go.

I was looking for a source of mylar in the uk and i found these guys
Sams Models : : Catalogue Section B : :

Just over half way donw they do .00025", is that suitable?

I also noticed they do metalized. Do you think this could be used and would it remove the need for coating?

Thanks.

Hi Graeme UK,

I think the .00025" Mylar is suitable. It should be equivalent to 6 micron Mylar. I have tried it, and I liked it.

I'm not sure about the metalized diaphragm. However, you need to make the diaphragm to very slightly conductive. With metalized diaphragm, I'm not sure if it will be too conductive though. High resistance value on diaphragm surface is good.

Wachara C.

Hi Graeme UK,

I think the .00025" Mylar is suitable. It should be equivalent to 6 micron Mylar. I have tried it, and I liked it.

I'm not sure about the metalized diaphragm. However, you need to make the diaphragm to very slightly conductive. With metalized diaphragm, I'm not sure if it will be too conductive though. High resistance value on diaphragm surface is good.

Wachara C.

Thanks.

I started gatehring materials today, got materials for stators and cups.
Ill order the mylar and some graphite powder, just need to decide on spacer material now.

Any suggestions?

Ill re-read the thread too, see if its already meen mentioned.

Before i start, i was planning on panels that are just under 3" diameter circles. Will these be big enough?

Looking around i think i may be better off making them bigger than 3" circle.
I can do 4" circle, just means making new cans.

As for spacers, what about plasticard? The white styrene plastic sheet used in model making, it comes in 0.5mm.

Been looking for something cheap i can use for diaphrams just to test things out. Ill buy mylar when i know it will work.

I have no reference for how thin this stuff is though, how does it compare say to the plastic wrap on cigarettes?

Looking around i think i may be better off making them bigger than 3" circle.
I can do 4" circle, just means making new cans.

As for spacers, what about plasticard? The white styrene plastic sheet used in model making, it comes in 0.5mm.

Been looking for something cheap i can use for diaphrams just to test things out. Ill buy mylar when i know it will work.

I have no reference for how thin this stuff is though, how does it compare say to the plastic wrap on cigarettes?

Hi Grame Uk,

I'm sure that either 3" or 4" circle will do fine. However, using larger stator means that you need to use thicker spacer also. Your suggested 0.5 mm spacer will probably be too thin, unless you want to tension your diaphragm with very high force. For my design, I use 1 mm spacer. The reason why I use it because it's easier for me to work with. With 1 mm spacer, I use a bias voltage of around 620V. It works out well for me.

Wachara C.

Hi Grame Uk,

I'm sure that either 3" or 4" circle will do fine. However, using larger stator means that you need to use thicker spacer also. Your suggested 0.5 mm spacer will probably be too thin, unless you want to tension your diaphragm with very high force. For my design, I use 1 mm spacer. The reason why I use it because it's easier for me to work with. With 1 mm spacer, I use a bias voltage of around 620V. It works out well for me.

Wachara C.

Ok thanks.

Been thinking of making a die cut stamp for makign lots of spacers.

I also canibalised our microwave for the door grill so i can try that, and copper clad board.

Ill order the mylar on monday and get some thicker material for spacers. I have something 0.7mm, might try that as these are only going to be a 'test version' to start with.

I want to add outer diaphrams if possible to keep out dust etc. I see some people do that. Does it effect sound much?
Can i use the same mylar as the working diaphram?
Does it matter how far away from the stators the outer diaphram is? Obviously not 1":D

Thanks.

Hi Graeme Uk,

If you just want to try out first, you can try the kitchen plastic wrap. You will be surprise how good it sounds.

Yes, I also put an outer diaphragm for dust and sweat protection. I think it is a must especially for the side that will be against your face. My outer diaphragm is only 1 mm from the stator. I use the same diaphragm material for this outer diaphragm as well. The sound difference between having or not having this outer diaphragm is very little.

Wachara C.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.