Ribbon or planar headphones - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2011, 09:10 PM   #41
Cyan is offline Cyan  Italy
diyAudio Member

Actually I think the audeze lcd-2 are the second best planar headphones in the world. Right now Im just looking forward to the release date of these true ribbon headphones. Ill probably also buy a butt kicker. Still, I wonder if the final version will work with headphone amp or speaker amp.
Old 11th January 2011, 01:58 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
as a class these are called orthodynamic headphones - at least the ones with plastic membranes and serpentine trace - there are some recent "high end" commercial products HifiMan HE-5/6, Audeze LCD-2

heavy magnet structures, extremely low efficiency - not for everyone
Very interesting thread, diy planar

I have HifiMan HE5-LE, I would say they are not so difficult to drive, any headphone amplifier with gain around 10, with sufficient current capacity, would be able to drive it well. The HifiMan HE6 is harder to drive though...
Old 15th February 2011, 07:58 PM   #43
dariusf is offline dariusf  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the LCD-2 and drive them very well with RSA Raptor tube amp. They do sound very well and excel in many aspects over lets say Grado RS1 or Grado HP2.

I also have the Sennheiser HE60 (Baby Orpheus) electrostatics. I used to drive them with the matching HEV70 solid state amp. Just got a Woo Audio GES with upgrades and Sylvania drive tubes. Only spend couple hours on it at the most but it definitely has much wider sound stage, more holographic and better details over the LCD-2.

I'm wondering what is the deference in technology between electrostatic and planar drivers?

Thanks

Last edited by dariusf; 15th February 2011 at 08:15 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!