Ribbon or planar headphones

Actually I think the audeze lcd-2 are the second best planar headphones in the world. Right now I´m just looking forward to the release date of these true ribbon headphones. I´ll probably also buy a butt kicker. Still, I wonder if the final version will work with headphone amp or speaker amp.

as a class these are called orthodynamic headphones - at least the ones with plastic membranes and serpentine trace - there are some recent "high end" commercial products HifiMan HE-5/6, Audeze LCD-2

heavy magnet structures, extremely low efficiency - not for everyone

Very interesting thread, diy planar :)

I have HifiMan HE5-LE, I would say they are not so difficult to drive, any headphone amplifier with gain around 10, with sufficient current capacity, would be able to drive it well. The HifiMan HE6 is harder to drive though...

I have the LCD-2 and drive them very well with RSA Raptor tube amp. They do sound very well and excel in many aspects over lets say Grado RS1 or Grado HP2.

I also have the Sennheiser HE60 (Baby Orpheus) electrostatics. I used to drive them with the matching HEV70 solid state amp. Just got a Woo Audio GES with upgrades and Sylvania drive tubes. Only spend couple hours on it at the most but it definitely has much wider sound stage, more holographic and better details over the LCD-2.

I'm wondering what is the deference in technology between electrostatic and planar drivers?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello, I designed and built a new Ribbon Headphone with 3d printed plastic parts. The aluminum membrane is 8 micron with dimensions 26 X 60mm. I use bar magnets N52. The bass responce is excellent.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zKb7IJZCBKYpbTjCNDAWzqrY7B2VyWgT/view?usp=drivesdk
Hi TS8051 !

I'm also working on such a device. Please, can you send the geometry, details and post some pictures of the transducers you built ?
Do you'll share the files for 3D printing ?
Thanks for all info.
My Best,