Ribbon or planar headphones - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2008, 10:37 PM   #11
jzagaja is offline jzagaja  Poland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jzagaja
I strongly suggest practise with small planar headphone. Take a small photo frame and cut kitchen foil using frame glass. Attach foil to frame with scotch tape - chose appropriate tension. Put neodymium magnets in rows (opposite polarity) and attach to the metal sheet. Leave elsewhere. Now cut 50mm wide aluminium tape (to the frame width) as shown on the picture and stick to the foil (hardest step). Connect ending to the headphone out - kitchen radio is ok. Put your frame as close magnets as possible and enjoy. You'll be amazed with the sound. Everything depends on membrane tension. You should hear very deep bass. Checked with Marcus Miler
Attached Images
File Type: gif planar_speaker.gif (30.9 KB, 973 views)
Old 10th October 2008, 12:23 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
Quote:
Originally posted by jzagaja
I strongly suggest practise with small planar headphone. Take a small photo frame and cut kitchen foil using frame glass. Attach foil to frame with scotch tape - chose appropriate tension. Put neodymium magnets in rows (opposite polarity) and attach to the metal sheet. Leave elsewhere. Now cut 50mm wide aluminium tape (to the frame width) as shown on the picture and stick to the foil (hardest step). Connect ending to the headphone out - kitchen radio is ok. Put your frame as close magnets as possible and enjoy. You'll be amazed with the sound. Everything depends on membrane tension. You should hear very deep bass. Checked with Marcus Miler
This may be a better solution.

I'd like to find a thinner foil, though.
Old 11th October 2008, 11:33 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Nice to see another foray into ribbon headphones.
Here is a pic of a transducer i made a while back, it uses a coil etched on a flexi circuit material.
The pic shown has more turns than the final version.
I have made several pairs of phones using the design , and they sound rather nice.
I still have a new and improved version the transducer on the drawing board, but the project has been on hold for the last few years.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transducer-mk2[a].jpg (24.3 KB, 970 views)
Old 11th October 2008, 12:45 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by setmenu
Nice to see another foray into ribbon headphones.
Here is a pic of a transducer i made a while back, it uses a coil etched on a flexi circuit material.
The pic shown has more turns than the final version.
I have made several pairs of phones using the design , and they sound rather nice.
I still have a new and improved version the transducer on the drawing board, but the project has been on hold for the last few years.

Mark

Sweet!

I've been spending a lot of time wondering how I can get metal on plastic, and you seem to have solved the problem quite nicely.

Any chance you could post those plans?
Old 11th October 2008, 03:36 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

If you can track down some suitable flexi laminates , it's a matter drawing them and finding a suitable company who can photo etch them for you in small quantities. [finding the laminate in small quantities can be hell too!]
we are talking of adhesive-less laminates as thin as humanly possible!
I found things just got better the thinner[lighter] things went but that not the whole story.

All my parts were custom, nothing off the shelf.
I sort of got to the stage that to go further I would need to start to spend quite a bit more $$$$ to make things the way i wanted.

Here is a picture of the first transducer i did using hand drawn traces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transducer 2 back.jpg (16.9 KB, 694 views)
Old 11th October 2008, 03:38 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

front
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transducer 2 front.jpg (21.1 KB, 654 views)
Old 11th October 2008, 03:41 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

The hand drawn 'ribbon'
The later version use much finer cad drawn traces[and less of them than in the first photo posted] using a much thinner material.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diaphram 1.jpg (19.9 KB, 671 views)
Old 11th October 2008, 09:17 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I've done some toner-transfer printing - I assume that making and etching a set of traces should be pretty simple. However, I've had no luck finding a potential source of laminate. How did you make (or buy) yours, and how did you pleat it?

Also, I note a rather interesting and unusual magnet structure. Care to share details?
Old 12th October 2008, 02:59 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I drew the traces in the picture with a ruler and etch resist ink pen. The dc R came out about 4 Ohm a piece.
The later ribbon trace pattern was drawn up with pcb software.
did two versions of those one with around dc R of around 30 Ohm and one with around 15.

It has been a few years since i last worked on this project so details are not to hand,but sourcing the laminate was a bit of a headache , i was very lucky to get my samples!!
I will try to dig out some names etc

The pleats, or curves were added with a simple press former.
They key was to take out any tension on the ribbon.
This of course also relates to the ribbons own elastic characteristics..

The magnetic circuit is used was end poles pieces= North center pole piece =South.

The phones even with their flaws do sound nice and don't require anything excessive to drive them. [even sounded nice on my portable, all be it a bit quiet]
Old 12th October 2008, 07:04 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Can you diagram the magnetic structure?

Perhaps you have something done in FEMM I could look at?

I'm still learning all this stuff.

Hide this!Advertise here!