OP Amp based headphone amplifier. - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2008, 01:32 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Amp finished, and it sounds damn fine. The modules are fitted into my passive pre for my Gainclone. I have fitted a selector switch to select between power amp and headphone output. It's powered by the 13.8v/3A Maplins psu for now.

It's had a good few hours at full tilt and the treble has calmed down nicely. I am testing it with a pair of Sennheiser HD565 ovation, which are very nice sounding headphones. What a difference over the headphone out socket on my NAD amp, even with the cheap off board PSU.

With the Dave Gilmour CD I am testing it with at the moment (Live recording), the sound stage is wide and deep. Bass is full and well controlled. The midrange is full of detail but quite neutral. The treble is crisp and detailed, and not fatiguing. It's a definite improvement over my main amp. I am most impressed with the bass. The sound I expected was more of a blurring of notes at the top end and muddying of the sound at the bottom end, with a decent mid range, but this just blows me away. It produces individual notes with ease. A very engaging listen.

I didn't think that a single MOSFET was capable of producing this kind of sound. How wrong can you be? The output caps I used were 470uF Silmic II's, bypassed with Wima 1uF's. I think they are perfect for this application. I don't think I need to fiddle with the design at all. DIY Nirvana. I had to fiddle about with my Gainclone design before I was happy with it, but this has hit the spot first time.

Thank's for all the advice guys.
Old 30th September 2008, 04:18 PM   #32
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebra100

I didn't think that a single MOSFET was capable of producing this kind of sound. How wrong can you be?
The output caps I used were 470uF Silmic II's, bypassed with Wima 1uF's. I think they are perfect for this application.

I don't think I need to fiddle with the design at all. DIY Nirvana. I had to fiddle about with my Gainclone design before I was happy with it, but this has hit the spot first time.

Thank's for all the advice guys.
>>> I didn't think that a single MOSFET was capable of producing this kind of sound

I have seen people express the same before. So, is certainly no joke.

Congratulations Well done, zebra100
New project ideas. After christmas and in 2009 maybe? Anything in pipeline?

Or Maybe just relax and enjoy the fruits of your work:
maybe ...
Play I Some Music, Dis a Reggae Music
Bob Marley - Music Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKowJMhdmDU

Old 1st October 2008, 09:00 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Thanks Lineup.

For my next project I might have a look at making some speakers for the Gainclone. Maybe some full range drivers, or somthing a little more exotic. Then maybe a DAC to complete the package. I'll have to wait until after christmas though, as most of my spare time this year has been taken up doing one hifi project or another. I'm more than happy to just listen to the music for now.

Hide this!Advertise here!