Headphone amplifier with buffer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to build an headphone amplifier based on the well known opa + buf634 pair configured as seen on the datasheet, but i would also add an input buffer before the pot to have a better impedance interface with various sources.
My questions are:
1) is this correct or i have to add series and/or parallel resistor between the first opamp and the pot and/or between the pot and the second opamp?
2) which is the correct value for the pot? (i have one 20K and one 100K ALPS)

Ciao
Andrea

Attachments

• headamp-buf.png
    headamp-buf.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 510
The basic circuit already has a very high input impedance; you don't need the buffer, unless you need a higher input impedance than the pot value. If you use the 100K pot, that will be the input impedance. You haven't gained anything by adding the buffer with its 100K input impedance.

Dxvideo said:
Wihout parallel resistor, thats right. But in this case your only input load will be the potentiometer. Thats a risk I guess..
However with parallel resistor to pot, then input impedance will vary between 50K to ~100K ...

Why? The pot itself has a fixed resistance between input and ground, and the wiper is connected to a 10 GOhm op amp input, which can be neglected. Hence the very low figure I posted.

May be there is a misunderstanding.
I meant,
Yes youre right, there will be no input impedance swing if you use just a potentiometer on input.
However, I adviced a parallel resistor to middle pin of the pot to gnd. So in this case you will have a variable input impedance. But this is a need I think. Because as my experiences, if an opamp works without an input load resistor then it becomes unstable situation. And if your potentiometer fails while running without a parallel resistor then your headamp may oscillate and you may say goodbye forever to your precious headphone..

Ok.. If you plan to measure the noise and compare with some others then youre right.
I've designed and made (also published in this forum) a class A biased headphone amplifier with really cheap components. In the beginning it had 2x gain and by the time I needed more gain for especially a 250R headphone. Then I have changed its gain to 4.3X...
So, it has a OPA134 opamp in front with 4.3X gain and there was no input load resistor before it but a 100K potentiometer. It was also a DC coupled headamp and there was no Ci or Cin.. The DC offset was only 4mV at all time. And believe me;
I have never heard anykind of noise, I have never noticed that it was working or not working even while its input was open!
Anyway,
The buffer is not necessary, remove it and go with just one OPA and a buffer, IMO...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.