DIY headphone amp on the airplane - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2007, 03:54 PM   #1
schumpe is offline schumpe  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default DIY headphone amp on the airplane

Hello,

I couldn't really find any info on this. Does anyone have experience with taking DIY electronics as carry-on on an airplane? I would like to take my CMOY, which I built in the typical mint tin. But I don't know if security is going to make a big deal out of it.

Cheers
Old 4th December 2007, 09:46 PM   #2
jnb is offline jnb  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hehe, you might be lucky, but you know what they may think it is if they find it, and what they may do.

There may be an approval process you can go through before travel.
Old 4th December 2007, 09:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've flown with a small homemade boombox several times. Usually no problem, but once they had to tke it "upstairs" and take pictures of it and send them off to some technical guy to look at. It was a small airport, so they didn't have anybody on-site, I guess. It just took a few minutes and there was no problem with it once they had done that. And I was checking it, not carrying on.

But given the number of those C-Moy things out there, I expect the TSA has figured out they're not dangerous by now.

--Buckapound
Old 4th December 2007, 09:55 PM   #4
cuibono is offline cuibono  United States
diyAudio Member

Both of the last two times I've flown with diy electronics, I got pulled aside. Obnoxious, but they just had me check my bag. Just leave extra time in case they make you go back out to the baggage check desk. I bet a small cmoy amp they might not even notice.
Old 4th December 2007, 10:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I recently traveled with a torn-down GC. That is transformers, amp boards and filter cap boards wrapped up in my carry-on luggage. I ask the ticket agent's advice and she walked me right over to the TSA desk. I waited several minutes for my bag to be checked out (while I watched as hunting rifles were in and out of the process) and when the TSA agent returned, he assured me that I would have had a PROBLEM had I not checked in with them first

I'm not sure how much hassle a working device would be...

good luck
7/10

EDIT* I ended up checking my bag.
Old 4th December 2007, 11:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I've flown several times with my Altoids-tin CMOY in my carry-on and it wasn't even noticed. I had it in a plastic bag with my MP3 player, headphones, and spare batteries. But since that MIT student was almost shot at Logan for having LEDs on her jacket, I've decided to leave it at home.
Old 5th December 2007, 12:41 PM   #7
schumpe is offline schumpe  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys.

So no definite yes or no. I'll try to get some official info from the airline then.
I guess if security takes it from me, I have a good reason to build a new (upgraded) one, hehehehe.

Cheers
Old 5th December 2007, 11:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stevodude
recently traveled on international flight, and didn't even think about the amp, as I had a bag with portable dvd/lcd and cmoy amp (dual 9v), and spare batteries, phone in flight mode etc... the lot was in the bag when I scanned it through and they didn't even blink at it...

the amp looked like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 6th December 2007, 02:41 AM   #9
Daveis is offline Daveis  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmodemhead
I've flown several times with my Altoids-tin CMOY in my carry-on and it wasn't even noticed. I had it in a plastic bag with my MP3 player, headphones, and spare batteries. But since that MIT student was almost shot at Logan for having LEDs on her jacket, I've decided to leave it at home.
Any links to this story?
Old 6th December 2007, 02:57 AM   #10
cuibono is offline cuibono  United States
diyAudio Member

if they notice it, they will give you the option to baggage check your carry on.

Also, it depends on which airports your being screened at. Some airports are more high tech, others you have to have a regular cop decide if its okay or not. When I was in Mexico, I doubt they cared less.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, and I bet your airline will say the opposite.

Hide this!Advertise here!