DIY headphone amp on the airplane

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I couldn't really find any info on this. Does anyone have experience with taking DIY electronics as carry-on on an airplane? I would like to take my CMOY, which I built in the typical mint tin. But I don't know if security is going to make a big deal out of it.

Cheers

I've flown with a small homemade boombox several times. Usually no problem, but once they had to tke it "upstairs" and take pictures of it and send them off to some technical guy to look at. It was a small airport, so they didn't have anybody on-site, I guess. It just took a few minutes and there was no problem with it once they had done that. And I was checking it, not carrying on.

But given the number of those C-Moy things out there, I expect the TSA has figured out they're not dangerous by now.

--Buckapound

Both of the last two times I've flown with diy electronics, I got pulled aside. Obnoxious, but they just had me check my bag. Just leave extra time in case they make you go back out to the baggage check desk. I bet a small cmoy amp they might not even notice.

I recently traveled with a torn-down GC. That is transformers, amp boards and filter cap boards wrapped up in my carry-on luggage. I ask the ticket agent's advice and she walked me right over to the TSA desk. I waited several minutes for my bag to be checked out (while I watched as hunting rifles were in and out of the process) and when the TSA agent returned, he assured me that I would have had a PROBLEM had I not checked in with them first

I'm not sure how much hassle a working device would be...

good luck
7/10

EDIT* I ended up checking my bag.

mrmodemhead said:
I've flown several times with my Altoids-tin CMOY in my carry-on and it wasn't even noticed. I had it in a plastic bag with my MP3 player, headphones, and spare batteries. But since that MIT student was almost shot at Logan for having LEDs on her jacket, I've decided to leave it at home.

Any links to this story?

if they notice it, they will give you the option to baggage check your carry on.

Also, it depends on which airports your being screened at. Some airports are more high tech, others you have to have a regular cop decide if its okay or not. When I was in Mexico, I doubt they cared less.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, and I bet your airline will say the opposite.

I've had my Garmin GPS 12 seriously questioned by screeners.

It's a hikers ruggedized GPS device. They made me turn it on.

I would think if it looks professional it would be questioned less.
Spaghetti wires would draw attention.

In particular, if your device seems to be heavy and dense for its size it will raise suspicion.

I wouldn't carry anything on that I wasn't willing to check through. And I certainly wouldn't carry anything on-board that was likely to make me miss a flight or be detained for 30 minutes extra.

If traveling in the USA today I'd say don't attempt to carry-on any device that doesn't look like a commercial product.

I wouldn't risk it personally.

Reminds me of my wild days, and the tete-a-tete i had abroad with a lady.
After a week of looting every sx-gadget shop in town i figured i couldn't leave the hotelroom like that, and took everything with me on the plane.
My suitcase couldn't hold all the stuff we had bought so i stuck some goodies in the long cashmere wintercoat i also bought overthere.
I did not realise the vibe in my pocket had batteries in it untill i passed through the security beam and they asked me to step out and follow them.

I told the nice airport security lady i'm in the toy business, don't know if the two champagne bottles sticking out of my side pockets made it more credible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.