Tube Headphone Amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Dougie

Dougie085 said:
Is there a tube headphone amp thats not very expensive? Like around $150? It can be commercial or DIY.

This triode(d) PP 100% class A one can be DIY-build for less than 100 Euros, has won several local tube audio community shootouts and even can drive small speakers, too. A few copies of the original design even were built by others who participated in the shootouts with their own designs ;)

Also, this circuit was shown as part of my ETF06 lecture to demonstrate what can be achieved with ultra-cheap "TV-tubes", using pentodes (or pentode sections) triode strapped.

Regards,

Tom

Dougie085 said:
Is there a tube headphone amp thats not very expensive? Like around $150? It can be commercial or DIY.

Here's a thread dedicated to modding a Xiang Sheng 708B. There's a few folks selling them on ebay, and they've been getting cheaper since I got mine.

A few mods and 1 replaced valve, and it's a great sounding bit of kit! Check out my post under the name "hnb2907" :)

BTW; I did have a look at a few forums discussing the Little Dots, and the general view seemed to be that they're great sounding, but not always very reliable? I was also looking for something with a valve rectifier...

Cheers,
Chris.

AFAIK the little dot 2++ is reliable. The older version 2+ was not due to some poor quality chinese power tubes.

The mark III is a cracker, just be careful to buy either direct from them or through their seller on ebay davidzhezhe. Very good service from them and a 1 year warranty - and they pay shipping! How rare is that.

I was going to build an aikido based HP amp, but this was cheaper. I like building stuff, but when its available cheaper and in a nice chassis etc......

I'm currently planning both dsavitsk's Less-Pressivo and an Aikido based headphone amp for the future (though I may try to make a headphone amp out of John Broskie's cathode-coupled circuits instead of the Aikido).

I've heard the Aikido as headphone amp and can vouch that it is a really superb amp. Your output caps can get pretty huge and expensive if you'll be driving lower impedance cans (like Grados).

woodturner-fran said:
Yep, that was my problem. I use both Senn HD650 (600R) and AKG 501s (120R). So I would have needed pretty large coupling caps..... Cost just rose too high.

Fran

My headphone preamp uses a high-temperature 450V 220uF electrolytic bypassed by a 2.2uF Solen. Not very expensive at all, and with a 32-ohm load, the cutoff is still a bit less than 20Hz if I recall correctly...
Even using those 100uF motor run caps wouldn't be that incredibly expensive, but the bulk factor of two per channel might become an issue.
If I were to re-do a headphone amp, I'd definitely use some kind of impedance matching transformer instead of the coupling cap, in all likelihood one of Edcor's cheapest XSE lines. At fractions of a watt of power, frequency response probably won't be an issue.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I used 220uF 400V electrolytics in my 5687 srpp/ 5842 white cathode follower design some years ago. I have to say the idea of 110V on one side of the capacitor and my ears a few mm away from the voice coils on the other made me very uncomfortable.

Should one of those caps fail it could be quite unpleasant... :hot:

My newest design uses output transformers Jack Elliano built to my specifications with 71A output tube and 5842 driver. I'm quite pleased with this design - drives my 32 ohm headphones directly off of the secondary and is dead silent. (The transformers have two 8 ohm secondaries - in parallel its an 8 ohm secondary, in series 32 ohms for the many pairs of 32 ohm headphones I own. Asking for Grados for xmas.. :devilr: )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.