Discrete simple headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don' t need too good amp, I need only something cheap (I will make 4 stereo drivers) with enough power and voltage for wide range of loads, and not as bad as LM386.
Driver transistors are the 2N..? I simulated distortion, and it came out better with them.

The choose of transistors is because I have enough of them from some recent project, but will BCxx and BD139/140 make a difference?
And what about TL072 instead of the NE5534/2?

What values of zobel do you suggest for headphones?

"The choose of transistors is because I have enough of them from some recent project, but will BCxx and BD139/140 make a difference?
And what about TL072 instead of the NE5534/2?"

The 5534/32 sounds quite a bit better in the mids and bass than the TL07X opamp in this circuit.

"What values of zobel do you suggest for headphones?"

It has nothing to do with the headphones, it is for amplifier stability. I generally use 0.1uF and 10 ohms.

The Eaton2 looks like a good project. The MJE243/253 are much better devices for outputs than the MJE340/350.

some relatively common headphones can require over 100 mA peak current to reach realistic spl

most older (available in PDIP) op amps can't drive that much current and require output current boost/buffers

but there is little need for darlington level current gain

a single ef with Class A ccs bias should be fine as output buffer inside the op amp feedback loop

Any good opamp can deliver 10ma, drive an output with a Beta of 50, you can drive 500mA peak.

Build an Aleph type current source and set it to 200mA, it will be able to provide 400mA peak.

Run it all on ±10V, the output and current source will both dissipate 2W, and be able to drive 1.25W class A into 16 ohms.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.