Koss ESP/9 electroststic headphone repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.

Hope this post is in the correct place.

Anyway, I have a pair of Koss Electroststic headphones, and the left ear speaker has died.

All I get out of it now is a faint buzzing, modulating to the incomming signal.

I have carried out some test to confirm that it is the actual ear speaker, and I am of the opinion that the diaphram and / or stators are at fault.

I have managed to dissasemble the left ear speaker to a point, but cannot go any further as it will involve micro surgery.

My question is, does anyone know of a repair kit, or posssibly a company / individual in Australia that can carry out the repair?

Regards,
George.

Re: Koss ESP9 headphone repair

Pinco Pallino said:
This unit carries a lifelong warranty. Just send it to your national Koss importer and it will be repaired at Koss Hqs, USA, at no cost to you.
Phenominally good service, highly commendable.

Hi.

Thank you very much for this information. I was not aware that Koss offered this level of service.

I will contact them tomorrow and see what they can do for me.

Ciao.

Regards
George.

Warranty??

I seriously doubt that there is any warranty that can or will be honored for such an old unit. Two reasons, 1) you may need to prove you are the orginal owner - produce a bill of sale and 2) Koss USA, the original company no longer exists, afaik. The people who use the Koss name are not the same as the original company, afaik.

IF they honor a warranty, please let us know!!
Email me, if you would, or PM??

Btw, they all suffered from hum due to the layout - the PS xfmrs couple to the interface xfmrs. They'd do well to have the interface box dissassembled and reassembled in a new chassis, imho.

I do own a working pair.

If they do not honor the warranty, I believe that they can be rebuilt sucessfully by a careful DIYer.

_-_-bear

Koss Repair

Hi Bear.

It turns out that you are 100 % correct.

I contacted a local pro audio store here in Adelaide, last week,
and they had no idea what model I was talking about.

I did not realise that the new Koss has no ties with the old Koss.

To cut a long story short, there is no warranty.

However I did find a local guy here, who does have experience with electrostatics, but not headphones.

He did however offer to take a look to see what can be done.

I know that they have their short commings, but I want to get them going again more for sentimental resaons.

Lets face it, they do feel like a vice on your head, and you end up with sweaty ears after a while!!

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,
George.

I'd not take the word of a guy in a pro audio store who is less than 50 years old, and even then check online to see what the home office has to say about it.

if I recall they are riveted together, so not too hard to take apart.

I think the way to go is to simply build NEW ESL cells to fit in the old cups!!. No matter what you're going to have to do both sides to get a match, so making up a pair of little eliptical shape stators to fit should not be too hard to do. Of course you can opt for taking apart the old cells and reusing the housing - assuming they come apart in one piece, which they may or may not depending on the adhesive used or lack thereof.

Keep in mind, you really really do need to re-house the interface box to get rid of the awful hum. That's why it has a switch on the front that turns off the bias supply! (imho)

_-_-bear

Koss Repair.

Hornlover said:
Koss is still around, and does have a no questions ask lifetime headphone repair. I had an old pair of Pro4AA's repaired, and it was done for free.

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/cs-warrepair

Hi Hornlover.

Way to go buddy & thanks for the info.

I went to the web site, but unfortunately my model did not come up.
I went to the "is my product covered" page, but does not include my model.
I scrolled all the way to the end of the model list, and it has a heading "model not listed".

But no matter.
I have just sent an email to them, sometimes you just never know.

I will keep you posted.

Regards,
George.

Koss Repair - No Go.

Hi Hornlover.
Looks like its a no go for me. It was worth a try though.
This is a copy of the email sent to me:

"Dear George,

our lifetime limited warranty has been valid since 1989, therefore it does not cover obsolete models.

I regret to advise that there are no spare parts left for the ESP/9.

For info our our current range kindly get in touch with our authorized distributor:-

EDS Trading (A/Asia) Pty. Ltd
P.O. Box 154
James Ruse Business Park
Unit 2C / 6 Boundary Road
NORTHMEAD NSW 2152

Phone 02 9630 1955
Fax 02 9630 1989
E-Mail: edskoss@ozemail.com.au

Wishing you many more years of enjoyable listening to the unique Sound of Koss!

Sincerely,
Simona Vanin

KOSS Europe
Centro Commerciale
CH-6855 Stabio
Switzerland.
Tel: ++41-91-641 61 20
Fax: ++41-91-641 61 29
E-Mail: svanin@koss.com "

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.