Headphone amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2007, 12:43 PM   #1
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Headphone amp

Hi,

I got bored and started noodling around in LTSpice. At first I was simulating the usual buffered opamp, using 2 diodes for bias, something like ESP's Project 113. Then I decided to try out diamond buffering. I came up with this:

Click the image to open in full size.

Pretty basic I think and seems to sim well, but I'm not a great expert on designing amplifiers. Any experts out there care to tell me what they think?

I was even thinking about trying it out using BC850/860 instead of BC546/556, but i'd have to get some of those...
Old 21st April 2007, 02:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would reconsider the gain setting.
A gain of 22 seems far too much.
regards
Old 21st April 2007, 02:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

True, ideally I want full swing with a 1V RMS input signal. It's easy enough to change R6 though.

edit: I set R6 to 3K and that does the trick. It still seems stable but I dont think the model of the OPA(2)134 is particularly good in that regard.
Old 21st April 2007, 02:57 PM   #4
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

The output stage will run in almost class B.

Forget about the cascodes in my design. Check which values the emitter resistors have.
Old 21st April 2007, 03:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Per-Anders... I must say I've seen your boards and they are works of art Sadly I'm just a home hack, doing my boards in a tray of sodium persulfate being warmed in a bath of heated water.. I haven't tried anything double sided yet as I havent worked out a good (cheap) way of doing vias.

I am guessing the cascode stages are T3/T7, and T14/T4/T8. What purpose do T1 and T2 serve? I am guessing they act as references in the current mirror.

I had thought about emitter degeneration and will probably add it as it makes the PCB easier to construct into the bargain.

The output is class AB but only just, there is about 18mA of bias according to the sim. Class A would be better though, especially at this low power.
Old 21st April 2007, 08:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The design looks nice, and I'd be curious if it performs as well as the sim. No reason it shouldn't. Long ago I did a class A headphone amp I really liked, though the design was a bit unorthodox. It was basically an op-amp driving a power FET, but with a separate op-amp/FET current source underneath. The interesting thing about that is the output of the op-amp runs at the gate voltage of the FET. Thus, until you reach fairly high levels, no zero crossing occurs in the op-amp- it runs pseudo class A as well. The thing sounded great, and I can probably dredge up a schematic if any body's interested, though you'll likely be a bit skeptical at first
Old 21st April 2007, 08:21 PM   #7
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jaycee
The output is class AB but only just, there is about 18mA of bias according to the sim. Class A would be better though, especially at this low power.
Remember that you must consider temperature stability also. The simulations give you nothing about this.
Old 21st April 2007, 09:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I was concerned about thermal stability. Not sure how to go about that one yet. I might try and put it together with some parts I have laying about, on a piece of veroboard or so.

As you said, the sim doesnt tell the whole story.

Hide this!Advertise here!