ODAC - general and technical discussions - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Head 'n' HiFi - Walter

Head 'n' HiFi - Walter At Head 'n' HiFi we will provide you with the finest Audio equipment and parts for a reasonable price. We will also host Group Buys on request, this includes production of PCB's from our trusted manufacturer and sourcing of the parts at lowest prices. We also have manufacturers for enclosures and panels at hand. Once we host a project we will re-stock it frequently depending on demand, you will never miss out on a project again.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2012, 01:28 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

I did find out more information on the proper way to install Odac board into O2. It looks like the above info is also wrong. As the odac is supposed to automatically disconnect when you plug in any other input, and it will not as installed above. I read this on another forum. (Bada Bing, from Head-Fi)
If you wire directly to P1 pads, the ODAC is hard wired to the input of the amp all the time.
If you wish to have the input switch built into the input jack socket function, i.e jack in an
external source disconnects the ODAC, jack removed connects the internal mounted ODAC,
then you must cut the traces and wire to pins 3 & 4 on the underside of the O2 pcb
for L & R out of the ODAC.

If you wire the ODAC directly to P1, a potential problem is if you connect an external source
and forget and also have the ODAC powered and playing as well. This wires the
outputs of the two sources directly together. The two sources
will "fight" and over draw current from one or the other with potential damage.
Old 30th May 2012, 01:47 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

ODAC "crammed" inside B2-080 case with Objective 2 amp with batteries still in tact. The pics are of a test fit, I have not burnt any solder yet. The inductor and the micro usb port do make conntact with the case botttom(not sure if this is an issue)?, its a tight fit with some filing of the ODAC pcb it would fit slightly better.

They upside of this for me is retaining battery operation. I'm not clear on how to wire this to retain the input jack or what type/gauge of wire to use. Any advice is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0596.jpg (900.3 KB, 943 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0601.jpg (908.6 KB, 880 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0603.jpg (645.2 KB, 830 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0598.jpg (547.0 KB, 777 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0600.jpg (960.5 KB, 646 views)

Last edited by thirdman; 30th May 2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old 30th May 2012, 04:27 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dufus View Post
Which Audio GD dac do you have?
NFB-3
Old 2nd June 2012, 03:44 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor0203 View Post
NFB-3
I feel the same way -I've got an Audio-gd Fun, WM8471 DAC installed and I find I prefer the ODAC so far.
Old 4th June 2012, 02:33 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Just got my new oDAC up and running. I mounted it on a small piece of plywood and fed it from an ancient laptop running Voyage mpd (also new).

The DAC feeds my Pass BA-3 and F4 via an old passive control unit.

Gain is a bit low, but it sounds great. It's the first time I've heard 24/96 music on my main system, and it's fantastic.

The main overall change I notice from other sources is the delicacy and smoothness of violins and other high frequency content.

Long term I hope to do an Alix / Voyage server with the oDAC in a box as my primary (non-vinyl) front end.

mpd is controlled with mpod on my iPhone - its great to be able to find all my music from my chair!

Tim
Old 19th June 2012, 04:49 AM   #26
4nradio is offline 4nradio  United States
diyAudio Member

I received my custom back panel for the O2 + internal ODAC board from Front Panel Express today. Both the front and the back panel are of my own design, using FPE's software.

As mentioned by others, flipping the ODAC board upside down and mounted below the O2 PCB results in a tight fit, but retains uses of the batteries. I added two RCA jacks for a line level ODAC output in case I want to send the audio to another amplifier.

Here's the result:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120618_205108.jpg (194.8 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg 20120618_210609.jpg (191.3 KB, 247 views)
Old 19th June 2012, 05:32 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbarnes View Post
Gain is a bit low, but it sounds great.
I found that the apparent low gain was due to a setting in mpd. Getting plenty of gain now.

tim
Old 19th June 2012, 12:46 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

4n, very nice! I'm envious.
Old 19th June 2012, 03:15 PM   #29
swalter is offline swalter  Switzerland
life is beautiful...
diyAudio Member

yes, that looks nice 4n, well done
Old 20th June 2012, 01:34 PM   #30
willmax is offline willmax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nradio View Post
I received my custom back panel for the O2 + internal ODAC board from Front Panel Express today. Both the front and the back panel are of my own design, using FPE's software.

As mentioned by others, flipping the ODAC board upside down and mounted below the O2 PCB results in a tight fit, but retains uses of the batteries. I added two RCA jacks for a line level ODAC output in case I want to send the audio to another amplifier.

Here's the result:
That O2 with the RCAs coming out at the back plus ODAC is looking sweet.
What type of RCA are those?

Hide this!Advertise here!