ODAC - general and technical discussions - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Head 'n' HiFi - Walter

Head 'n' HiFi - Walter At Head 'n' HiFi we will provide you with the finest Audio equipment and parts for a reasonable price. We will also host Group Buys on request, this includes production of PCB's from our trusted manufacturer and sourcing of the parts at lowest prices. We also have manufacturers for enclosures and panels at hand. Once we host a project we will re-stock it frequently depending on demand, you will never miss out on a project again.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2012, 09:18 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Try this link, ODAC schematic

George
Old 26th May 2012, 04:52 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Got my Odac in from JDS labs today...

Had a bit of a hard time installing it, it was actually easy, but there was no instructions and very little to no info online on how to get it up and runing. Im posting this to help others.. Basically

1. Do not remove battery terminals, I desoldered mine, then realized they are supposed to stay.

2. Cut 2 traces under PCB:
Click the image to open in full size.

3. Solder Wires, from LR Line out on the Odac to P1 input on O2. Left is first hole closest to PCB, Middle is Ground, 3rd hole is right channel. I just "bridged" the 2 ground solder connections on the Odac and ran a single wire from there to the middle P2 hole.

4. use nut/bolt or, do what I did, a small piece of foam tape works perfectly, securely fashions the PCB, and is the perfect gap and lines up perfectly with the side grooves in the case.

5. re-assemble case and your done.
Old 26th May 2012, 03:28 PM   #13
orpheus is offline orpheus  United States
diyAudio Member

Is there a part number for the output jack for the ODAC listed anywhere? I suspect it is the same as the O2, but I haven't seen it specified.

Thanks for your time.

-Aaron.
Old 26th May 2012, 03:36 PM   #14
swalter is offline swalter  Switzerland
life is beautiful...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus View Post
Is there a part number for the output jack for the ODAC listed anywhere? I suspect it is the same as the O2, but I haven't seen it specified.

Thanks for your time.

-Aaron.
Hi Aaron

3.5mm Digikey CP-3523SJCT-ND

I will list them in my shop shortly as well. I also give them away as freebee wirh every ODAC

Stefan
Old 26th May 2012, 07:13 PM   #15
orpheus is offline orpheus  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalter View Post
Hi Aaron

3.5mm Digikey CP-3523SJCT-ND

I will list them in my shop shortly as well. I also give them away as freebee wirh every ODAC

Stefan
Thank you so much!

-Aaron.
Old 26th May 2012, 10:25 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

oh boy... this is a big one.

I had Foobar set to 24bit output Wasapi (Odac). But windows audio control panel was set to 16 bit 44.1, I noticed that windows volume control was still controlling Foobar even though it's set to wasapi. This is odd behavior, but more importantly it means that it's still going though the windows stack, which means that foobar's 24 bit output was getting resampled to 16 bit by the windows driver. I changed the windows options to 24-bit 44.1 and holy cow, what a difference, sounds like a whole new level of greatness.

anyway, long story short, make sure Foobar and Windows audio settings are aligned, and why does it not bypass the windows audio completely? (Wasapi)

this is with windows 7 64 bit. Foobar defaults to 24 bit, windows defaults to 16 bit, this IS IMPORTANT. big difference in sound quality.

Last edited by Mweatherford; 26th May 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 27th May 2012, 04:20 PM   #17
jtktam is offline jtktam  Canada
diyAudio Member

mweatherford

if you figure out how to bypass the windows stack, let me know

-joe
Old 27th May 2012, 05:15 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I have not spent much time trying to, to be honest, I was just surprised, as I have several other USB audio type devices and Dacs, USB SPDIF converters etc, and the windows volume control never works when they are set to WASAPI in Foobar. Im not sure it matters much, as long as they are aligned there should not be any resampling up/down etc by windows.
Old 29th May 2012, 08:41 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Recieved my ODAC today. I must praise swalter for nice packaging and all communication.

This little thing is a beast. Beated my Audio-GD DAC easily. Much more air between instruments, very nice spatial information, more refined and natural sound.
Old 29th May 2012, 08:50 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Which Audio GD dac do you have?

Hide this!Advertise here!