Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Head 'n' HiFi - Walter

Head 'n' HiFi - Walter At Head 'n' HiFi we will provide you with the finest Audio equipment and parts for a reasonable price. We will also host Group Buys on request, this includes production of PCB's from our trusted manufacturer and sourcing of the parts at lowest prices. We also have manufacturers for enclosures and panels at hand. Once we host a project we will re-stock it frequently depending on demand, you will never miss out on a project again.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:30 PM   #41
swalter is offline swalter  Switzerland
life is beautiful...
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by willmax View Post
Swalter,

Any idea when will you have more details on the ODAC Standalone and enclosure? May we can get some sort of renderers or pics ;-) as well.
Hi willmax,

at the moment the preferred enclosure would have the same size as the O2, and the ODAC sitting in there held in place by a tray. This has the advantages that there will be lower tooling costs that need to be passed on and space for RCA sockets that would be mounted as standard. A new Aluminum extrusion is in the range of 1000 USD, this cost would need to be passed on.
The last word of course is with you, the customers. If you would rather have a smaller case this will be doable as well, and well below the 51 USD in price like some others charge for it.

So I apply to the people who pre-ordered option 3 to let me know their preferences in regards to the size of a case for their ODAC.
__________________
everything O2 and ODAC related can be found here: www.headnhifi.com - your DIY and audio resource
or have a peek in our vendor forum: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head-n-hifi-walter/
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:12 PM   #42
diyAudio Member
 
danny_66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lierde
Hello Walter,
The O2 case is perfect for my ODAC.
Grts,
Danny
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:31 PM   #43
willmax is offline willmax  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by swalter View Post
Hi willmax,

at the moment the preferred enclosure would have the same size as the O2, and the ODAC sitting in there held in place by a tray. This has the advantages that there will be lower tooling costs that need to be passed on and space for RCA sockets that would be mounted as standard. A new Aluminum extrusion is in the range of 1000 USD, this cost would need to be passed on.
The last word of course is with you, the customers. If you would rather have a smaller case this will be doable as well, and well below the 51 USD in price like some others charge for it.

So I apply to the people who pre-ordered option 3 to let me know their preferences in regards to the size of a case for their ODAC.
I think it is a good idea and it makes sense to use the same enclosure as the O2, particularly for those who intend to build the ODA down the path and according to Nwavguy the ODA will fit in the same enclosure.

As for me I want to have the ODAC as a standalone version so I'd prefer to have it in a much smaller enclosure, that way I can piggyback on top of my O2 :P.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 05:37 PM   #44
sorue is offline sorue  Singapore
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by swalter View Post
Alternatively, puting USB and 3.5 mm connector to the front would leave space on the back for the RCA output.
Case would be consisting of two U shapes, one making up the bottom, front and top whilst the other one consists of the sides and the back.

I will scetch something up once back from vacation.
I'm looking forward to this! Need to see how the casing will look like before taking plunge
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 10:45 PM   #45
swalter is offline swalter  Switzerland
life is beautiful...
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Switzerland
Default Panels and case

So, had a busy week at work after my vacation and some orders to pack after I opened shop at the 2nd as promised.
Here the promised drawings:

First one is the Tray for the ODAC so it fits into an O2 enclosure by itself

Click the image to open in full size.

The ODAC will be held in place by the five fingers on the right side and the groove of the enclosure on the left. With a B3 enclosure the ODAC should fit over the batteries for a portable O2/ODAC combo.

Panels for the stand alone version without RCA sockets

Click the image to open in full size.

and here one for the version with RCA Sockets, the dotted line is the diameter of the isolation washers.

Click the image to open in full size.

And for those that would like to have it smaller, here a seperate enclosure measuring 62 x 20 x 49 (without panels). I was thinking of black brushed anodized aluminum as finish for the extrusion and brushed, anodized black or silver panels.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

RCA sockets at the backside would add 20 mm to the lenght of the enclosure.
Estimating both options will come at around the same price...

Let me know what you think of those, I would nee sufficient interrest in order to justify the tooling costs that come with it....
__________________
everything O2 and ODAC related can be found here: www.headnhifi.com - your DIY and audio resource
or have a peek in our vendor forum: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head-n-hifi-walter/
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 05:09 AM   #46
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Default Standardized ODAC Enclosure

For the standalone B2-080 version, wouldn't it be just as easy to use a blank O2 PCB to support the ODAC (no new custom part)? Just a thought.

Quote:
If you would rather have a smaller case this will be doable as well, and well below the 51 USD in price like some others charge for it
Of course, DIY audio should cost less than retail. That's the idea!

George at Yoyodyne Consulting asked us weeks ago to consider distributing a Standalone ODAC enclosure. A standardized enclosure for ODAC means lower cost for everyone in the DIY market. We've discussed this possibility with other ODAC builders during April, and have been observing demand from our database.

Oliver at Epiphany Acoustics emailed tonight asking for a status update on this endeavor, especially after swalter's update. This standardized ODAC case hasn't been announced until now because of lead time and our existing cases. But the project is in motion--we're going to release a custom extruded case for ODAC this summer. The c421 case we're using upon ODAC's release requires a 3D printed ABS shim for proper fit (thus, no DIY option yet). The only advantage is that we're able to ship Standalone ODACs as soon as they're released, rather than many weeks later with a new extrusion.

Dimensions of the standard ODAC extrusion will be: 61.5 x 14 x 49 mm

Click the image to open in full size.

The cross section preview looks wider than swalter's proposal, but note that this design is actually 6mm thinner. Appearance will match the renderings on our blog, with a brushed black finish like that of c421. Screw holes are machine tapped. Engineering specifications will be released upon production approval. This ensures production tolerances and dimensions match drawings.

Cost will be similar to the B2-080BK.


A few things to note:
1. Manufacturing a nice extrusion isn't as straightforward as one might hope. We went through dozens of shops before finding one competent enough to deliver a nice finished product on time and on spec. We lost several months last year weeding out bad extruders.

Chris at Box Enclosures apologized last Friday for a delayed B2-080 shipment. He said they're weeks behind due to an off-spec manufacturing batch.

In other words, producing a custom extrusion is a large risk to take.
2. Based on ODAC demand, there's no reason for swalter and JDS Labs to each produce a custom 'Standalone ODAC' extrusion. That would ruin the idea of a standardized design and hurt costs for everyone.
3. We're initiating tooling production this week. This gives us 4 weeks to determine final production quantities. Release date will be available after production is finalized (around July).
--JDS
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 09:44 AM   #47
diyAudio Member
 
olli1324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Exeter/London
John is right; there isn't a whole lot of point everyone having extrusions made. I'm fairly indifferent between who to go with, but I'll be able to take up 200 pieces for myself. Whoever is quicker would be best, really...
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 11:45 AM   #48
swalter is offline swalter  Switzerland
life is beautiful...
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Switzerland
let me see ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by massless View Post
For the standalone B2-080 version, wouldn't it be just as easy to use a blank O2 PCB to support the ODAC (no new custom part)? Just a thought.
Not a bad thought, but, in order to fix the ODAC like this you still would need to solder at least two of the battery clips to prevent the board being pushed out of place and nuts and bolts to screw it down to the PCB. If you take the time you need to accomplish this the tray comes actually cheaper.



Quote:
Originally Posted by massless View Post
Of course, DIY audio should cost less than retail. That's the idea!
I can only agree with you on this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by massless View Post
George at Yoyodyne Consulting asked us weeks ago to consider distributing a Standalone ODAC enclosure. A standardized enclosure for ODAC means lower cost for everyone in the DIY market. We've discussed this possibility with other ODAC builders during April, and have been observing demand from our database.

Oliver at Epiphany Acoustics emailed tonight asking for a status update on this endeavor, especially after swalter's update. This standardized ODAC case hasn't been announced until now because of lead time and our existing cases. But the project is in motion--we're going to release a custom extruded case for ODAC this summer. The c421 case we're using upon ODAC's release requires a 3D printed ABS shim for proper fit (thus, no DIY option yet). The only advantage is that we're able to ship Standalone ODACs as soon as they're released, rather than many weeks later with a new extrusion.

Dimensions of the standard ODAC extrusion will be: 61.5 x 14 x 49 mm
Our extrusion has a hight of 20mm simply for the fact as the RCA sockets have a diameter of 15mm, it could be stripped down to 16mm as minimum

Quote:
Originally Posted by massless View Post
Click the image to open in full size.

The cross section preview looks wider than swalter's proposal, but note that this design is actually 6mm thinner. Appearance will match the renderings on our blog, with a brushed black finish like that of c421. Screw holes are machine tapped. Engineering specifications will be released upon production approval. This ensures production tolerances and dimensions match drawings.
have to admit that it looks nice, I have no software installed to produce a rendering of the case at the moment (and not the time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by massless View Post
Cost will be similar to the B2-080BK.
This is fairly vague, cost for the B2-080 differ by over 10 dollar in resale depending where you buy it from, will the price include the panels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by massless View Post
A few things to note:
1. Manufacturing a nice extrusion isn't as straightforward as one might hope. We went through dozens of shops before finding one competent enough to deliver a nice finished product on time and on spec. We lost several months last year weeding out bad extruders.

Chris at Box Enclosures apologized last Friday for a delayed B2-080 shipment. He said they're weeks behind due to an off-spec manufacturing batch.

In other words, producing a custom extrusion is a large risk to take.
2. Based on ODAC demand, there's no reason for swalter and JDS Labs to each produce a custom 'Standalone ODAC' extrusion. That would ruin the idea of a standardized design and hurt costs for everyone.
3. We're initiating tooling production this week. This gives us 4 weeks to determine final production quantities. Release date will be available after production is finalized (around July).
--JDS
1) having a very competent manufacturer as you can see on the O2 enclosures and panels I got done, final call on quality will be tomorrow when they finally arrive here.

2) I agree, there should be no need for two custom cases, but in the end it is all a matter of price, make me an offer

3) requested the quote today, will have the engineering approval tomorrow, tooling time of my supplier is 10 days, production about 7 -10 days depending on quantity and about 5 - 6 days for the shipment to arrive here. and they work on Saturdays

I would be interested to know in the tooling cost you have to pay, we can discuss this via PM if you'd like to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olli1324 View Post
John is right; there isn't a whole lot of point everyone having extrusions made. I'm fairly indifferent between who to go with, but I'll be able to take up 200 pieces for myself. Whoever is quicker would be best, really...
As per above you can do the maths if all goes well and the quote is right cases should be available mid of June,
__________________
everything O2 and ODAC related can be found here: www.headnhifi.com - your DIY and audio resource
or have a peek in our vendor forum: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head-n-hifi-walter/
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 12:06 PM   #49
diyAudio Member
 
olli1324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Exeter/London
Mid June is very tempting..
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 12:50 PM   #50
willmax is offline willmax  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by massless View Post
Of course, DIY audio should cost less than retail. That's the idea!

--JDS
Does that mean that your DIY enclosure for the ODAC will be significantly less than the standalone units currently available for pre-order over at JDS Labs website?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ODAC offerings from Various Vendors swalter Vendor's Bazaar 216 15th April 2013 03:53 AM
Pre-Orders now ready for SEOS-12 Scaper Group Buys 3 14th March 2012 12:51 AM
Buffalo-II Dac pre-orders PoweRex Digital Source 5 28th November 2010 02:28 PM
Pre-Orders Up for 206-ESR ScottG Full Range 59 31st July 2006 08:27 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:52 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2