• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

ODAC - European and Worldwide pre-orders

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there
So, I'm trying to build a O2 Amp + ODAC combo and have followed NwAvGuy instructions to use the ODAC with the O2 input jack (I also want to use the input jack.)
Have the amp working as expected, but the ODAC is not producing any sound.
I've already checked the cables and they seem to be properly connected.

So, any idea how can I troubleshoot this thing.

Hi there
So, I'm trying to build a O2 Amp + ODAC combo and have followed NwAvGuy instructions to use the ODAC with the O2 input jack (I also want to use the input jack.)
Have the amp working as expected, but the ODAC is not producing any sound.
I've already checked the cables and they seem to be properly connected.

So, any idea how can I troubleshoot this thing.

Hi, did you cut the traces pulling the input to ground if no jack is plugged in?
This is usually the source of the silence you experience ;)

best Regards, Stefan

I got my ODAC from this pre-order thread. It's been working faithfully an wonderfully all these years. It's in an enclosure from head-n-hifi and sits on top of my self built o2.
Yesterday, suddenly out of no where the ODAC started having lots of static noise out of the right channel only.

I know this is not from the o2 amp as it is dead silent when I unplug the odac.

Anyone else experience this issue and have any solutions?

I got my ODAC from this pre-order thread. It's been working faithfully an wonderfully all these years. It's in an enclosure from head-n-hifi and sits on top of my self built o2.
Yesterday, suddenly out of no where the ODAC started having lots of static noise out of the right channel only.

Hi,

this is the ESS chip failing, some of them are having a tendency to do so after some years, others after a few month, hence Yoyodyne moved to the rev.B design.
If you are comfortable to replace the chip yourself give me a shout on PM and I can send you a replacement

Stefan

I had very similar issue with few DACs including ODAC based on ES9023. Looks like this chip is faulty and easily gets damaged. Check buzzing channel for DC voltage. Mine had about 1.8V DC offset at damaged channel so watch out do don't connect it to any headphones or DC coupled amplifiers.

Thanks Stefan! I was reading about the rev.B design but there was no mention of this problem as one of the reasons to update. Was this a design issue that caused it to fail?
Is the replacement chip a different model, updated or will it fail eventually as well?

Is the
Hi,

this is the ESS chip failing, some of them are having a tendency to do so after some years, others after a few month, hence Yoyodyne moved to the rev.B design.
If you are comfortable to replace the chip yourself give me a shout on PM and I can send you a replacement

Stefan

Same setup, same issue

You triggered me with your story:

I have the same setup and I'm experiencing that the right channel mutes from time to time. If I raise the volume of the input it suddenly pops back. In some cases I have to power down and up to get it back.

@Steven, I'm interested in a replacement as well and will drop you a PM

Thanks Stefan! I was reading about the rev.B design but there was no mention of this problem as one of the reasons to update. Was this a design issue that caused it to fail?
Is the replacement chip a different model, updated or will it fail eventually as well?

Is the

IIRC, the RevB article lumped this behavior into a broader category of ES9023 'failures'. We later had the opportunity to meet an engineering team from ESS (fun guys!), who kindly performed an analysis of one of the damaged ES9023s on an old ODAC and determined it was an IC testing failure, which has since been corrected.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.