• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

ODAC - European and Worldwide pre-orders

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The postal system works in mysterious ways. I convinced a friend that he wants to buy this DAC, in the RCA-case version last week. He ordered on .. Thursday or Friday, I can't remember and he sent me a picture of it yesterday. My pre-order on the other hand, was just received in my post office :)

Anyway, nice work swalter!

forgot to mention when I first plugged it in, the pcb emitted a high pitch squeal for about a minute... I was quite annoyed and was relieved when it stopped. Hope that doesn't come back... wonder what it was from?

It was around 15khz range. I've done tests and I can't really hear anything over 18khz, especially my left ear.

This was on a netbook, acer aspire one d250 running windows xp. USB port on the Left hand side, opposite of the power adapter.

I noticed the same thing on two seperate PC's.

Hi All, first of all thanks for the kind words. It's my pleasure to serve this community the best way possible and supply you with more stuff as time passes ;) I unfortunately could not, due to heavy work load in my daytime job (actually night time as well during the last 3 weeks), reply to the forum as often as I wanted. At least I managed to ship all orders placed in a timely manner.

Yes, postal services are strange creatures, one shipment arrives within 2 days, same destination shipped to a week later takes 3 weeks to arrive... no idea why though...
I am currently setting up a new shopping cart for the store as the tax issue and not being able to display shipping prices for letter post really bugs me. On top it causes double the work sending refunds or billing items through paypal. This is one of the main reasons the parts section is still abandoned. I hope I will get the new cart running within the next two weeks and will be able to migrate the user database.
I also just got a deal with DHL Express, so in case you need items shipped quickly it will be possible once the new storefront is up. I just do not want to put any more effort into the old system. Prices are in a moderate bracket, the more this option will be used the lower the prices will get (reviewed every 3 month and adapted on amount of shipments made).

In regards to the high pitched noise, I tested all ODACs before shipping on a Win7 and a WinXP PC and none made any squeeling noise whatsoever.
The last batch though made no noise at all and went back to the manufacturer for re-work. Therefore re-stocking will take approximately 2 more weeks.

Stefan

Last edited:
Hello http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head-n-hifi-walter/Head 'n' HiFi - Walter. I tried to look up postal fees on your website but didn't find it. Can you tell me what the costs for shipping to the Netherlands is?

Register at the website. Put what you want to buy in your shopping cart. Continue to check out and go on a bit and then you'll find shipping costs and alternatives.

I just ordered and O2 diy kit and an ODAC with O2 back panel. I chose the german DHL shipping so I guess I wont have to pay any taxes or duties since it's shipping from Germany? Will tell my friend tomorrow to order the same stuff as I did and I'll build it for him :)
Can't wait to compare the O2 + ODAC to my Asus Xonar STX!

Hello http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head-n-hifi-walter/Head 'n' HiFi - Walter. I tried to look up postal fees on your website but didn't find it. Can you tell me what the costs for shipping to the Netherlands is?

sorry for the wait, shipping cost to The Netherlands starts at 10 CHF (from Germany - shipping once per week from there...), depending on what you order it might be slightly more as it is weight depended.

...and as per post above, the assumption regarding VAT is correct ;)

Stefan

Got my package today. Very well packed including all parts in good shape (I've had broken parts before when buying other electronics). I didn't have to pay any extra duties or taxes, very good! I've just pretty much finished assembling the O2 (pictures here ?music).

How important is it to clean the back of the board to remove flux residues?

How important is it to clean the back of the board to remove flux residues?

This depends on the type of solder used. Flux residue from rosin core, and especially water soluble solders, should absolutely be cleaned. Although the board may work without cleaning, flux residue from these solders can cause undesirable parasitics between unexpected circuit paths. Sometimes the effect goes unoticed. Other times it severely impacts performance or causes strange problems (unstable and/or overheating IC's).

If you used a no-clean solder, there's no need to clean the board. But you probably didn't use a no-clean solder if you're asking.

Hi Stefan,

My name is Tomas, and I have ordered an ODAC past 15th July (Order no. 00197).

Three weeks ago, you said that you will send a new device from Germany at 15th August.

I have not get anything yet and I don't know if you have done a new send.

Regards,

Tomas.

Hi Tomas,

sorry to hear that you still did not receive your order, I will check for the tracking reference once back at home and let you know by mail.

best Regards, Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Received my Odac and Objective headphone amp both standalone earlier this week. (Order Nr 00000296). The headphone amp is working properly however the ODAC is giving me problems.
Tried on iMac, Windows Laptop (lenovo) and in both cases only get garbled sound, very distorted.
On the mac tried with Audirvana + player as well as iTunes and on the Laptop tried with Youtube movies also getting the same result. I can hear the music but distorted with lots of static in between the audio.
Further tested with different cables, different ports etc.

My other 2 DACS Audio GD NFB10 and Matrix Dac are working fine.

Any suggestions ?

Hi Stefan,

Received my Odac and Objective headphone amp both standalone earlier this week. (Order Nr 00000296). The headphone amp is working properly however the ODAC is giving me problems.
Tried on iMac, Windows Laptop (lenovo) and in both cases only get garbled sound, very distorted.
On the mac tried with Audirvana + player as well as iTunes and on the Laptop tried with Youtube movies also getting the same result. I can hear the music but distorted with lots of static in between the audio.
Further tested with different cables, different ports etc.

My other 2 DACS Audio GD NFB10 and Matrix Dac are working fine.

Any suggestions ?

Hi Peter,

As per the mail sent earlier, sorry for the hassle. Replacement will be in the post tomorrow (actually today...)
I had one once before with the same issues, there it was a cold solder joint on one of the jumper traces.

Stefan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.