Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Head 'n' HiFi - Walter At Head 'n' HiFi we will provide you with the finest Audio equipment and parts for a reasonable price. We will also host Group Buys on request, this includes production of PCB's from our trusted manufacturer and sourcing of the parts at lowest prices. We also have manufacturers for enclosures and panels at hand. Once we host a project we will re-stock it frequently depending on demand, you will never miss out on a project again.

ODAC - European and Worldwide pre-orders
ODAC - European and Worldwide pre-orders
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2017, 01:38 PM   #211
BamboszeK is offline BamboszeK  Poland
diyAudio Member

I had very similar issue with few DACs including ODAC based on ES9023. Looks like this chip is faulty and easily gets damaged. Check buzzing channel for DC voltage. Mine had about 1.8V DC offset at damaged channel so watch out do don't connect it to any headphones or DC coupled amplifiers.
Old 15th February 2017, 01:41 PM   #212
daich is offline daich  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks Stefan! I was reading about the rev.B design but there was no mention of this problem as one of the reasons to update. Was this a design issue that caused it to fail?
Is the replacement chip a different model, updated or will it fail eventually as well?

Is the
Quote:
Originally Posted by swalter View Post
Hi,

this is the ESS chip failing, some of them are having a tendency to do so after some years, others after a few month, hence Yoyodyne moved to the rev.B design.
If you are comfortable to replace the chip yourself give me a shout on PM and I can send you a replacement

Stefan
Old 16th February 2017, 09:58 AM   #213
sourceror is offline sourceror  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Same setup, same issue

You triggered me with your story:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daich View Post
I got my ODAC from this pre-order thread. It's been working faithfully an wonderfully all these years. It's in an enclosure from head-n-hifi and sits on top of my self built o2.
Yesterday, suddenly out of no where the ODAC started having lots of static noise out of the right channel only.

I know this is not from the o2 amp as it is dead silent when I unplug the odac.

Anyone else experience this issue and have any solutions?
I have the same setup and I'm experiencing that the right channel mutes from time to time. If I raise the volume of the input it suddenly pops back. In some cases I have to power down and up to get it back.

@Steven, I'm interested in a replacement as well and will drop you a PM
Old 16th February 2017, 04:07 PM   #214
massless is offline massless  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daich View Post
Thanks Stefan! I was reading about the rev.B design but there was no mention of this problem as one of the reasons to update. Was this a design issue that caused it to fail?
Is the replacement chip a different model, updated or will it fail eventually as well?

Is the
IIRC, the RevB article lumped this behavior into a broader category of ES9023 'failures'. We later had the opportunity to meet an engineering team from ESS (fun guys!), who kindly performed an analysis of one of the damaged ES9023s on an old ODAC and determined it was an IC testing failure, which has since been corrected.
Old 8th March 2017, 01:24 AM   #215
diyAudio Member

Just soldered in Stefan's replacement IC - had to jumper a pad that came off with the old chip but I'm back in business without static in the right channel! Finger crossed for another 4 years of clean audio...
Thanks again Stefan for the replacement IC!
Old 8th March 2017, 11:31 AM   #216
diyAudio Member

The silver lining of a failing chip is that I didn't realise how nice this DAC is until it broke and forced me to use on board for a couple weeks.

Man do I love this thing...

ODAC - European and Worldwide pre-ordersHide this!Advertise here!