• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB -- "VU Meter Amplifier" PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am thinking to implement this VU Amplifier circuit, have PCB's made -- L1 and C2 adjust the Attack and Delay (and can be changed as needed.) The circuit is from a design by Jon Munson in EDN in 2005, and I have simmed it with good results. Probably around $5 or $6 for a 2-channel board using through-hole devices:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

rpapps said:

2 channel Board + components + meter movement for $6.
You are without doubt an optimist.
:)
Cheers
Rob
As we say in the States "Read the prospectus carefully before you invest". I typed PCB.

At any rate, I have sold many hundreds of amplifier PCB's -- if I can panelize the boards and cut them here in my shop the price will be lower.

I also thinking of adding a simple logarithmic converter so that you don't have to screw around with the meter face.

Ed -- I have a bunch of Nat Semi SMT "rail-rail" opamps -- these should work very well -- but I would imagine that most folks are most comfortable working with "through-hole" devices. For the rectifier to work properly you really need rail-rail devices.

What I will do is configure two boards -- one for surface mount, the other for through-hole devices. This isn't that difficult since my software will change them on the fly.

Jack

Will this happen?

Dear "jackinnj",

Are you still planning to build these boards and offer them to diyAudio members? If so, what time frame were you expecting this might happen?

In comparing your schematic in Post #1 above to the schematic in the article, the "bottom" of diode D1 and capacitor C6 from your schematic are connected directly to the negative input of the opamp in the article.

Regards,

Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.