GB -- "VU Meter Amplifier" PCB - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2006, 03:07 PM   #41
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Hello Jackinnj,
great idea for the project. I will be interested as well in getting a few boards. I hope they are going to be available soon.

I would like to know what type of meters we should be looking for? Volt meters, amp meters or specificly VU meters? I made some calls and learned that VU meters are built differently from lets say voltmeter or amp meter in the terms of ballistic - the way needle moves and speed. Logically VU meters would be best, but I would conclude many people will try to use what they have or eBay where not soo many VU meters are available, so it will be very helpfull to know what to look for. If voltmeter or amp meter is OK what maximum Voltage or Amps they should be made for?

I also would like to know if it is possible to convert or use your boards as a Wattmeter, as I am planning in using it on the amp. In my mind VU meter and peak meter are much more usefull in the preamp area so in the amp wattmeter would be great.

Here is a good resource for new meters in US:
http://www.meterdistributor.com/index.htm
I spoke with tech support and they are great to deal with.

I am lookingg for BIG meter, something like 6" wide, so all that I am finding are meters for hunreds of Volts or Amps. I would appreciate your guidance on this subject very much.

Thank you
AR2
Old 10th December 2006, 03:47 AM   #42
Master Burner

Here is the meter for serious analog meter lovers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (7.2 KB, 907 views)
Old 10th December 2006, 11:46 AM   #43
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

If I understood correctly that circuit would use a 10V meter.... as it could provide an improved scale compared to a UV meter.
Old 17th December 2006, 11:15 PM   #44
sts9fan is offline sts9fan  United States
diyAudio Member

i would like some of these as well
Old 17th December 2006, 11:21 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

I much prefer an analog meter as oppossed to a digital or LED indicator. Mainly becuase of the natural damping.

But, I'm old and slow.
Old 18th December 2006, 02:02 AM   #46
Master Burner

I hope Jackinnj is out of his jam at work. Jack I sent you email with some questions, and I do not know if you have received it.
I decided to go ahead and order parts so I could do assembly point to point. I will order smaller meter just for testing and than if it works well I will go for big one.
In submitted article, it is mentioned that this volume meter is meant to be used with typical 100 W amp. What if amp is much bigger? Do we need to add some voltage divider or that could be done through the circuit, or meter should be changed for higher voltage.
Does anyone knows what replacement diodes to use instead of ones in schematics:
D1 MBR0520 and D2 CMPD6263S? These are surface mount and I would like to substitute them for through hole for point to point wiring.
This would be a really good project for surface mount devices, as the size of board could be much smaller, and there are really not too many parts.
AR2
Old 18th December 2006, 02:16 AM   #47
Master Burner

Sorry disregard my question on various amp power. Jackinnj explained it on first page.
Old 2nd January 2007, 08:26 AM   #48
Master Burner

Unfortunately not too much activity in this tread.
I completed this circuit by doing point to point wireing on small proto board. I got small 10V AC Voltmeter just for testing purpose. The circuit works well, but I am not sure that meter is the right choice. I still have to calibrate meter for the max and min movement as explained earlier by Jacinnj. The movement is what I am not too happy about. Niedle moves rapidly, and is very sensitive (easily reaches max) but has a lot of inertion. That results in the niedle rocking left and rigt with no signal until it setles. I do not know if the problem is that voltmeters are not made to have a fast movenmet and maybe I would need VU meter to test.
If anyone else made a test please post your experience, partcularly on meter movement.
Thank you
AR2
Old 9th January 2007, 03:18 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AR2
Niedle moves rapidly, and is very sensitive (easily reaches max) but has a lot of inertion. That results in the niedle rocking left and rigt with no signal until it setles. AR2
Are you using the value of inductor specified.

The logjam at work is now managed.

Jack
Old 9th January 2007, 03:23 PM   #50
Master Burner

Yes I do - 10 mH

Hide this!Advertise here!