GB -- "VU Meter Amplifier" PCB - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2006, 05:35 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tommak
I'm also interested!

Does anyone know if this will work well with the Corning pH meter Model 7 meters you can buy on eBay?

I searched the EDN site and found Jon Munson's article on the above design. ( Then I saw that jackinnj also linked to this in another thread. )

http://www.edn.com/contents/images/6280030.pdf

Thanks,

Tom

I have a couple of those Corning meters -- they use tubes -- they are exactly the type I used when doing analytical and quantitative chemistry over 30 years ago.
Old 24th September 2006, 06:04 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
I'd be interested if you can help me with a method to test VU meter rateings... I have a few sets pirated from miscelaneous pieces of amps and tapedecks...
The meter movement is driven by the current flowing in its coil -- you have to determine the amount of current which drives the meter to full scale -- as shown in the attached, choose a potentiometer whose value is twice that necessary to cause the meter to deflect to full scale. In the case of a 50uA meter and 1.5V battery a 100k potentiometer will work. The shunt potentiometer should be about 1k -- this method is described in the ARRL handbook.
Attached Images
File Type: gif meter_measurement.gif (4.1 KB, 1412 views)
Old 24th September 2006, 06:36 PM   #23
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

ah ok, small voltage + ohms law and observe swing on needle.... it is a DC voltage though that I need to apply?
Old 29th September 2006, 08:01 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

ok, here's a 3D image of what the board looks like -- two channels -- 5" x 2" -- I am going to make a proto to make sure that they work. You can make your own 10mH inductors or purchase from Mouser:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 29th September 2006, 11:46 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default jackinnj,

Only one comment to your layout: why do you have so much space/air round components ? This board could be halves the size to what it looks to be now by placing the on board components tight and closer together. This will make the board more flexible to use in amps where there is not much space to fit a board including one VU-meter (mono block amp), or worth, one board and two VU-meters (stereo amp). If using this board in a pre-amp or in a mixer, ok, there is usually space enough for this, but seldom in a power amp due to the "big" VU-meters you had to mount if visibility should be good enough. Also there should be a power supply to feed this VU-board, an extra placing issue.

Just some thoughts

Otherwise it looks great.

Regards
Old 30th September 2006, 01:38 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

If I had "Autoplace" I could probably fit it into 3/4's the space -- bur my poor addled brain can't take the strain.

I like to site the mounting holes at least 0.200 inch from the periphery and try my best to keep everything which is defined by their centers into a tight rectangle. I allow for R0207R10 resistors which are a little big for a tiny project. My fingers aren't quite as nimble as they used to be, but I agree -- it could be perhaps 25% smaller.

Jack
Old 2nd October 2006, 07:33 AM   #27
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Come on Jack, you know you want to make is smaller... small is the new black.

So how long before we can start ordering?
Old 3rd October 2006, 08:43 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I am interested. Looks good.
Old 12th October 2006, 02:29 PM   #29
ChrioN is offline ChrioN  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Looks very good!
Old 28th October 2006, 07:04 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Interested in a board as well.

Hide this!Advertise here!