smd pick 'n place jig - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2006, 08:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default smd pick 'n place jig

Any interest in a jig that's better than using tweezers or a bit of coat hanger but not as complex (expensive) as the commercial pick and place machines?

I'm hoping that between us we can come up with a good design and get them built, maybe by a hobbiest model engineer. (I have no lathe or mill.)

Target price $50 or less.

Any ideas/interest?
Old 23rd July 2006, 09:04 AM   #2
rpapps is offline rpapps  Antarctica
diyAudio Member

Have you seen the Australian movie "The Castle"?
It has an often quoted tag line which seems appropriate.
"Tell him he's dreaming".
Cheers
Rob
Old 23rd July 2006, 09:58 AM   #3
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A suction handler is perfectly good for DIY work. I got mine on eBay, with three different nozzles, for under GBP10.00.
Old 23rd July 2006, 11:08 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks dnsey, didn't know suitable suction handlers were available as one-offs.

Had a look on UK ebay for 'suction handle' but nothing current or completed except stuff for pulling dents or lifting glass sheets etc. Any chance of a pic of yours to let me know what I'm looking for?

rpapps, I'm not trying to build a robot for a quid, just hoping to get a bit more convenience in smd soldering for some collective thought and a little cash.

I messed about with an old drill stand attachment, the basic design might have possibilities: pick up component, raise, slide pcb under it, lower component and solder.

I assume the assembly factories have nozzles specifically for 0805 packages etc. No idea if those nozzles can be bought at a realistic price but I'm sure the guys building model steam engines are good enough to make ones to our design.
Old 23rd July 2006, 12:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

This is the sort of thing.
(Not the supplier I bought mine from, so I can't vouch for him!)
Old 23rd July 2006, 12:11 PM   #6
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
seeing that pic reminds me of a medical syringe.

Get an outsize needle and bend it around a former, then blunt it on some carbide paper.
Fit a spring inside the syringe to force the plunger out.
Fit a suction cup over the end of the bent needle.

Any better ideas?
Old 23rd July 2006, 12:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

That sounds workable.

Does the needle have to be bent? I'm still thinking on the lines of something vertical. Thin brass tubing could be the needle. Doesn't have to be a medical syringe, got a 150ml one here that's just for measuring. A small Calpol syringe, as used for teething babies, might also work, will have to test.

dnsey, is the vacuum good enough to stop the component moving while soldering? Half of those on my first smd attempt aren't straight.
Also, how does the rubber (?) seal stand up to the heat?
Old 28th July 2006, 06:13 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure the syringe with a spring concept will work very well. It seems to me you need a constant airflow 'vacuum' like from a pump in order to overcome leakage around the part being held. A syringe could only hold the part for a limited time unless the seal at the tip was very good.
Robert
Old 28th July 2006, 08:45 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

The cylinder is large in relation to the suction nozzles, so there's plenty of reserve to hold parts for several minutes (in fact I've never found the limit).
The nozzles are presumably silicone rubber - very flexible - and stand normal soldering temperatures without damage. There's inevitably a bit of movement due to the flexibility, but it's so easy to place components precisely that you don't need to 'nudge' them as with other methods, so they get soldered wherever you put them.
Old 28th July 2006, 05:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: smd pick 'n place jig

Quote:
Originally posted by johnthedoctor
Any interest in a jig that's better than using tweezers or a bit of coat hanger but not as complex (expensive) as the commercial pick and place machines?

I'm hoping that between us we can come up with a good design and get them built, maybe by a hobbiest model engineer. (I have no lathe or mill.)

Target price $50 or less.

Any ideas/interest?

Not for $50 earth dollars. The fundamentals remain the same irrespective of the target market. The bed holding the pcb or the placement arm still has to be move with the same degree of accuracy. The control logic, the actuators and sensors will be no different from a commercial variant. You couldn't get the metalwork for $50.

Hide this!Advertise here!