Who is interested in a groupbuy of Mark Kelly's DC controller PCB and related parts - Page 63 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2007, 10:10 AM   #621
diyAudio Member

Default Voltage readings

I understood from your last post that you were having trouble getting the controller to hold a steady output voltage. If that is the case then a quick check of the output voltages of the various active devices would help me find the problem. If it isn't the case there's no need.
Old 11th April 2007, 12:32 PM   #622
diyAudio Member

Default Voltage readings

I see I could have led you to that assumption, but no, once I found the bad connection, the voltage has been steady.
Once I have done work on the mechanical and killed the noise, I see no problems.
Old 13th April 2007, 02:39 PM   #623
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Up and running ! Enclosure time...
Old 19th April 2007, 10:06 PM   #624
diyAudio Member

Sorry guys but mine doesn't work. It worked for a week than the speed started to flow and suddenly stopped definitly.
REF02 was substituted because the Vout was less than 1V. I installed a new battery and charged it , it worked for few hours but now the platter doesn't start to turn by its own , I have to help him but it never catch up the right speed, its too slow. I hope you can help me because I lost too many hours without getting out of this trouble.
I have those voltages with dip switch settled for 45rpm as Mark xls file:
Vx2-3= 13,8V
Vcc=12,7V
Vmotor 6,15V with motor disconnected, with motor connected 3,45V

all following tension are with motor disconnected

IC3 Vout 4,99 with JP2 in the outer position(motor negative) and 10,22V to ground

Q2 base 11,1V, Vc.11,4, Ve11,9V

The turntable platter weight is about 6kg. can be this a problem in the start up?
Giorgio

Q3 Vc 5,27 Vb 0,12 Ve 0,00

Q4 Vc 8,32 Vb 0,12 Ve 0,00

Q5 Vc 12,7 Vb 5,2 Ve 0,12

Q6 Vc 0,68 Vb 10,8 Ve 11,4

Q7 Vb 10,26 Ve 10,8

Q8 Vc 11,4 Vb 0,68

IC3 Vout 4,99 referring to negative supply motor and 10,2 to ground

IC2 pin1 8,3 pin3 8,2 pin5 8,3 pin7 8,3

IC4 pin1 10,2 pin2 8,3 pin5 8,3 pin7 8,3

The platter weight is about 6kg. could be this a problem in the start up for this power supply?
Regards
Giorgio
Old 20th April 2007, 01:04 AM   #625
sklimek is offline sklimek  United States
diyAudio Member

Default less is more...

Hi superhkm, your turntable is absolutely beautiful! Would you care to talk about it, materials, sources, execution?

Best - Stan
Old 20th April 2007, 01:01 PM   #626
diyAudio Member

Default Ping Mark Kelly

Hi Mark,

Could you, please, drop me a line about your 3 phase turntable Maxon motor? Is it still available?

TonyB
Old 20th April 2007, 11:55 PM   #627
diyAudio Member

Default Re: less is more...

Quote:
Originally posted by sklimek

Hi superhkm, your turntable is absolutely beautiful! Would you care to talk about it, materials, sources, execution?

Best - Stan
Thanks, I haven't really put much work ( or thought ) into what you see on that picture, the 80mm acrylic platter is from shceu, so is the bearing, ( inverted, ceramic ball ) I got it second hand from someone in Norway who had hardly used it.
http://www.highend-sound.com/produkt...Type=24&iAd=92

I put the motor in a piece of 100mmx100m alu-pipe and considerd "cramming" the controlller in there to, but i figured it would be a problem getting enough damping. There is vibration noise.

The plinth is simply 15mm clear acrylic. I am considering all kinds of alternativs, wallmounting is no option , so vibration damping will be an issue here also.

Reading all the Norwegian comments can be a challange, but this thread also features some of my design ideas:

http://www.hifisentralen.no/cgi/yabb...num=1176420883
Old 21st April 2007, 12:13 AM   #628
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patriz
Sorry guys but mine doesn't work.

Vmotor 6,15V with motor disconnected, with motor connected 3,45V

Giorgio
The current compensation part of the circuit would appear to be the likely fault, as the voltage at the motor should increase when loaded (the supply has a negative output impedance).

Check the small transistors Q3, Q4 and Q5 in the current compensation circuit.

Measure the voltage at each of the three with no load on the drive. Connect a resistance of 100 ohms as a load and check them again. Post the results.
Old 21st April 2007, 12:18 AM   #629
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Ping Mark Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by Tonyb
Hi Mark,

Could you, please, drop me a line about your 3 phase turntable Maxon motor? Is it still available?

TonyB
Not yet. It's become a little more complex, I decided to use a high end AD Direct Digital Synthesis chip as the primary frequency source and I lack the software skills to write the prgramming needed for the micro which controls the DDS. Jose Korneluk is writing the software.

On another note I seem to have found a way to eliminate cogging so I'm chasing that as well, again slowing the development down. Wish me luck
Old 21st April 2007, 05:39 PM   #630
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Ping Mark Kelly

Hi Mark,

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Kelly

Not yet. It's become a little more complex, I decided to use a high end AD Direct Digital Synthesis chip as the primary frequency source and I lack the software skills to write the prgramming needed for the micro which controls the DDS. Jose Korneluk is writing the software.

On another note I seem to have found a way to eliminate cogging so I'm chasing that as well, again slowing the development down. Wish me luck
I planned to do it very similarly - either a DDS chip or synthesize it directly by a uP since the frequency is quite low. I thought that you wanted to sell the Maxon 3 phase motor. That is why I wrote the previous post.

Does a 3 phave AC motor cog? If yes, I would be interested what you do to eliminate cogging.

Regards,

TonyB

Hide this!Advertise here!