Who is interested in a groupbuy of Mark Kelly's DC controller PCB and related parts - Page 56 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2006, 12:15 PM   #551
Aengus is offline Aengus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Mark: update on controller availability?

Hi Mark

Way back in September (posts 451 and 454) you said:

Quote:
I will not willingly get myself into doing kits ever again but I might be making some new controller boards in the next few months as my new DC controller will use the same board as a base.

and

I am re-using some of the design in my new controller which locks the motor speed to an externally generated clock. This will be offered commercially through an agent in Japan (and hopefully USA and Europe)...
Could you please let us have an update on whether/when this is happening? Thank you.

Regards.

Aengus
Old 11th December 2006, 06:31 PM   #552
DaveM is offline DaveM  United States
diyAudio Member

And there was great rejoicing!

The first batch of pulleys have been sent. Everyone who has paid now has a pulley or pulleys in the mail.

I hate customs forms. I have a bit of an issue with paperwork and getting it done. Procrastination is the method of choice, and I apologize to those at effect of me, but they are all coming.

Now to those of you who have not been invoiced and paid, have no fear. There are plenty of pulleys to be had.

John2 and DIYfan please PM your mailing info so that I can figure shipping and invoice you. Any others who are still interested and have not sent me their info recently, please do again.

DaveM
Old 12th December 2006, 03:21 PM   #553
diyAudio Member

OK gents,

I have:
Cwise for 4
Arad for 2
John2 for 2
DiyFan for 1
Aengus For 1
Cygnus X1 for 1

With those there are still some pulleys available. After those, I have 2 aluminum pulleys and 3 brass left.

Please correct me if your quantities are wrong.

DaveM
Old 12th December 2006, 05:43 PM   #554
diyAudio Member

Hey Hey, Don't forget me Dave.
I was orginally in for three pulleys but gave up two of them for other members wanting one. I still need one though.

Mark
Old 12th December 2006, 06:27 PM   #555
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dave,

I was invoiced and paid for 3 pulleys.

Regards,
Bas
Old 12th December 2006, 07:40 PM   #556
diyAudio Member

Markgall,

Sorry, I certainly don't mean to short anyone. I think there are now going to be enough to go around. I will dig up my paper copy of the shipping list and email those who expressed interest earlier, but haven't paid. I just want to get these done so everyone can get building, myself included.

Bas,

Yours went in the mail Saturday.

Actually, I have been pretty lucky. Someone at work, as part of a design project, bought a 12" x 12" x 6" piece of black Delrin. The project was S-canned because it would cost more to build than our customers were willing to pay. The plastic was cut from a slab and was therefore not returnable. So this big plastic monolith has been sitting on a filing cabinet in the purchasing office for over a year. At this point it has my name on it. Heheheh. The lathe at work has a total of 14" of opening. The mill will be used to rough it into shape, and then finish cut on the lathe. For those of you not familiar with Delrin, it can be polished to a high shine if you are patient, and it is very stable and inert. Often it is used as a metal substitute when weight or chemical resistance is needed. Nice, very nice.

I am pondering doing a magnetic vertical bearing in combination with a standard style bearing to lessen the load on the bearing. My shop supplies came with a couple nice lengths of oilyte bearing material. Looks like a grinding project at work.

DaveM
Old 12th December 2006, 07:42 PM   #557
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Mark.
Old 12th December 2006, 11:25 PM   #558
diyAudio Member

The pulley arrived a few hours ago. Thank you Dave for all your hard work and perseverance!

- Eric
Old 15th December 2006, 10:57 PM   #559
diyAudio Member

I had a bit of a scare trying to put Dave's pulley on my Maxon motor. At first, the shaft would only go in 1 or 2 mm and then bind. I did't want to force it any further so I talked to Dave about it. He told me that a bit of force would overcome the binding, since he verified each pulley's hole using his own motor.

So I put an extremely thin film of dish soap on the shaft and it went in with just a bit of binding. After working it in and out a few times, there was still some binding, but substantially less. At least I was now certain that the hole in the pulley was clearly not too small.

I polished the shaft with Flitz metal polish. The shaft is silvery smooth now, unlike at first. I guess it had some oils or other byproducts of the machining process on it. Now there is absolutely no binding at all. Better yet, I can feel the air pressure resisting the shaft on the way in, and resistance from the vacuum on the way out. When it was binding beforehand, the application force was probably greater than the forces from the air so I couldn't feel them.

The clearance is big enough that I'll have to use an adhesive like Loctite thread seal to fix the pulley to the shaft when I put it into service.

Hope this helps other people get their parts to match.

BTW, the Flitz shines up the brass very nicely too.

- Eric
Old 22nd December 2006, 03:55 PM   #560
sklimek is offline sklimek  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave - got my pulley, thank you so much!

Stan

Hide this!Advertise here!