Who is interested in a groupbuy of Mark Kelly's DC controller PCB and related parts - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2006, 08:14 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Kelly

Both of the Maxon motors I mentioned will suit. The 226764 will give better performance at 300 rpm but will require a 35mm diameter pulley for 33 1/3 RPM. The 110191 would allow you to use a smaller pulley or run both 33 and 45 rpm.

OK.

Sign me up for PCB with deluxe parts, and a pulley.

Alternativly point me to a pulley source. I am not able to find anything, maybe I should get it made at some shop..

hk
Old 6th April 2006, 08:52 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

I'm going to throw a fly in the ointment here because my conversations with a Maxon engineer verified that the self lubricating bronze bushings are ineffective at such a low RPM of 300. He said his best guess would be 600 RPM minimum.
I also spoke with a sintered bronze comany about the same thing and was told that they work best with high rpm applications and need heat to draw the oil. This is what I was told.

Quote:
Originally posted by superhkm

OK.

Sign me up for PCB with deluxe parts, and a pulley.

Alternativly point me to a pulley source. I am not able to find anything, maybe I should get it made at some shop..

hk
Old 6th April 2006, 10:38 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

I would like a board also.
I am intrested in a motor and or pully based on costs.
Old 7th April 2006, 12:50 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vinyl-Addict
I'm going to throw a fly in the ointment here because my conversations with a Maxon engineer verified that the self lubricating bronze bushings are ineffective at such a low RPM of 300. He said his best guess would be 600 RPM minimum.
I also spoke with a sintered bronze comany about the same thing and was told that they work best with high rpm applications and need heat to draw the oil. This is what I was told.

That's interesting but it differs from the classic Morgan / Cameron analysis of lubricant flow in sintered bearings as explained here:

Tribology ABC on Sintered Bearings

I haven't found an online source for the original paper by Morgan and Cameron but my understanding is that sintered bearings with pressure load are very effective at slow speeds. Certainly the sintered thrust bearing in my TT moves lubricant into and out of the pores at very slow relative speeds.
Old 7th April 2006, 09:01 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Kelly

Both of the Maxon motors I mentioned will suit. The 226764 will give better performance at 300 rpm but will require a 35mm diameter pulley for 33 1/3 RPM. The 110191 would allow you to use a smaller pulley or run both 33 and 45 rpm.
Forgive my ignorence; but have I got it right ?

A 20mm pulley will require ca530rpm for 33 1/3 and 715rpm for 45 and this will be fine running a Maxon 110191 on 12VDC.
Old 7th April 2006, 11:14 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fortytwo
I would like a board also.
I am intrested in a motor and or pully based on costs.

Please let me know if Im stepping on anyones toes, but I'm offered Maxon 110191, $96 for one, $90 for five or more.

How does these prices compare ?
Old 7th April 2006, 07:26 PM   #47
we416b is offline we416b  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Maxon 110189

Mark,

Would this controller work with an 110189 (1st generation diy Teres)?
This motor has less than half the resistance of the 110191.

Fred
Old 7th April 2006, 11:00 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Maxon 110189

Quote:

Forgive my ignorence; but have I got it right ?

A 20mm pulley will require ca530rpm for 33 1/3 and 715rpm for 45 and this will be fine running a Maxon 110191 on 12VDC.
Close enough and the motor controller's adjustability will take care of the rest.

To be exact you need to add the product of the belt's thickness and the material's Poisson's ratio to both radii before calculating the drive ratio. In the case of rubber the Poisson's ratio is 0.5 so the easy rule is to add one belt thickness to both diameters

Quote:

Please let me know if Im stepping on anyones toes, but I'm offered Maxon 110191, $96 for one, $90 for five or more.

How does these prices compare ?
They are the best prices I've seen. Care to act as motor provider to the Europeans in the group buy? Depending on postage cost, maybe the US citizens too.

Quote:
Originally posted by we416b
Mark,

Would this controller work with an 110189 (1st generation diy Teres)?
This motor has less than half the resistance of the 110191.

Fred
Yes.

The 110189 was included in the table that somehow didn't make it into the article, but it's on my website:

Web page on DC drives

The last row in the table is roughly the performance expected using the current controller at 300rpm. As you can see the 110189 isn't quite as good as the 110191. At 600 RPM the performance of each is about 4 times as good, but belt creep gets worse.
Old 8th April 2006, 12:42 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

I made mine out of scrap stainless pipe and the machine work costs about 25 bucks for the lid to be attached. I could see if i can get some made like mine (see completing my turntable post most recent). The cap does screw on so you would just have to counter turn it to not over twist the wires
fortytwo
Old 9th April 2006, 08:10 AM   #50
ZUM911 is offline ZUM911  Australia
diyAudio Member

I would like all the bits, pcb, parts, pulley and motor. Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!