• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Who is interested in a groupbuy of Mark Kelly's DC controller PCB and related parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any interest for a groupbuy of Mark Kelly's DC Motor controller?

Details here
http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~quiddity/audio/DCbrushed.html

Mark is currently doing 16-18 hour working days due to harvesting. That is the reason I'm posting here.

-NB-
Listing your name does not oblige you to buy. And this is certainly not a promise that the board or anything related is going to be done by Mark Kelly or myself.
-NB-

Let's see where this goes..
The groupbuy could contain one or more articles

-DC controller - basic
-DC controller - de luxe.

-Universal pully
-DC Motor

please list your interest with your username or real name and number of articles.

Excerpt of the article by Mark Kelly out of my magazine.

The prototype worked very well and my beta tester seems very happy with the result, which measures at better than 0.1% speed accuracy. The costs for this project are quite reasonable given the outcome. The raw cost of the controller, including PCB, all parts, plugs, sockets etc but not including an enclosure or power supply is about $AUD 90 / $USD 70 / EUR 55. The upgrades mentioned above add about $AUD 40 / $USD 30 / EUR 25.

How much you spend on an enclosure depends on how much you want to spend. In Australia Jaycar HB5462 is $AUD 25.75, in the USA the Hammond 1402 DV is $USD 42.15 (Allied part 802-1366), or you could use something like a 1U rackmount.

A suitable power supply giving 18V at 300 mA using a standard 2.1mm DC plug (centre positive) is fairly cheap, you could use Jaycar part no MP3029 which is $AUD18.95, you'll need reasonable heatsinking for the pre-regulator as this is a 24 volt supply. In the US Allied part no 967 8102 is suitable, this costs $USD 7.11

If there is enough interest I can put together a couple of kits – the “Cheap as Chips” unit would be the boards, ordinary grade components, connectors and the cheap box, this would cost $AUD 115 / $USD 90 / EUR 70.

The “Ultra performance” version would include the upgrade components and a nicer box, this will set you back $AUD 175 / $USD 135 / EUR 105.

Shipping will be at cost, figure around $AUD 9 / $USD20 / EUR20.

You’ll need to get your own power supply plus a pulley to suit your table. You’ll also need the motor. If there is enough interest I could source both the motor and a “universal” pulley.

straightforward. You should be able to knock that up single sided pretty easily, so if only a small number of people are interested it would be quite feasable to roll-your-own.

Indeed. In that case Olimex could be the solution. (VSPS and phonoclone's are also made there)

Hopefully Mark Kelly has some ideas on this. For now...I want to measure interest.

I have already done a PCB design and sent it off to the fab house. I will build a couple of beta prototypes to ensure that everything is OK with layout etc., I would then be happy to put the kits together and send them out.

If we have six already I will get going on this as soon as I get back home and sleep for about a week - we have about three weeks of fruit left but the peak has passed and things get calmer now that most of the whites are in.

Something like a spare (blank) BIX housing would be wonderful.
The BIX housing is available seperately from DiyHiFiSupply. Cost is 110 US$ excluding shipping to your part of the woods. Shipping is quite costly because of the weight and size of the pod. Shipment to Europe for example would be 33 USD via surface and 42 via Fedex.

Choices are silver or black anodized.

Having me import the pod would not be worth anyone's while because of the shipping costs from europe to the rest of the world. (I can't do it cheaper even at cost)

Re: Any interest for a groupbuy of Mark Kelly's DC Motor controller?

Bas Horneman said:
Details here
http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~quiddity/audio/DCbrushed.html

Mark is currently doing 16-18 hour working days due to harvesting. That is the reason I'm posting here.

-NB-
Listing your name does not oblige you to buy. And this is certainly not a promise that the board or anything related is going to be done by Mark Kelly or myself.
-NB-

Let's see where this goes..
The groupbuy could contain one or more articles

-DC controller - basic
-DC controller - de luxe.

-Universal pully
-DC Motor

please list your interest with your username or real name and number of articles.

Which circuit do you refer as basic and De luxe?
I would be interested in fig.3 drive with error circuit boards (I would buy 5-10 boards for friends too) , about the pully I need more information what is made of? size?
Giorgio

Clarification

This is covered in the original article but just to clarify the issue, the circuit board was designed so that it can be used for both the error amplifer version and the no-error-amplifier version. It has room for all the components of the "deluxe" versions , the "basic" versions leave off some of these components.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.