• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Who is interested in a groupbuy of Mark Kelly's DC controller PCB and related parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PCB Parts

Hi All,
I am in the process of buying the components to build the PCB's and am having a bit of trouble. I can’t find all the parts from the usual suppliers here in the UK. I have looked at RS, Farnell and Maplin.
Does anyone have a saved order for these parts i could copy, just to make sure i get everything right?
I am not going to restrict this to UK suppliers as buying from 3 in the uk will probably work out the same in terms of postage etc.
Many Thanks
Ian

Re: PCB Parts

webby said:
Hi All,
I am in the process of buying the components to build the PCB's and am having a bit of trouble. I can’t find all the parts from the usual suppliers here in the UK. I have looked at RS, Farnell and Maplin.
Does anyone have a saved order for these parts i could copy, just to make sure i get everything right?
I am not going to restrict this to UK suppliers as buying from 3 in the uk will probably work out the same in terms of postage etc.
Many Thanks
Ian

If you ever get this, please share. I received my motor recently, and will (hopefuly) be getting the group pulley too. I however missed out on the earlier controller board/component group buy, and will be trying to source the components from alternative sources.

Being in Kenya, the UK was one of my major hopes, and it my hope that you will find information and/or leads that could be useful to my situation...

Re: For Webby and Gagola

Mark Kelly said:
I have attached a text file which lists supplier, order number and price for all components. The pricing is in $USD for US suppliers and $AUD for Australian suppliers. All the suppliers do internet sales.

Thanks a lot, Mark for the file.

Small problem with the format though. I went at it with notepad, word and excel, successively, to try and get the columns to align properly under respective headings, but regardless of my efforts,

I keep getting component names and values appearing in wrong columns. Some adjacent pairs (names and values, and indeed some values and prices) are joined in ways that I am unable to decipher.

I may well be going a little soft in the head, but has any of the 12 or so "downloadees" (to coin a phrase) been able to reformat the table into a more meaningful form than I?

Agola Gregory
Nairobi

Thanks Mark, now since I'm a newbe and not qualified to contactact you properly I'm interested in the whole sheebang (controller boards and parts if available). Is there someone does this locally in the US or is there another way. I also noticed that you have indicated that there are some descrepancys with the board layout on your iinet.net files. Is there an updated layout available in case I have duplicate on my own?

It's not because you're new, I have my board email turned off permanently.

There are no boards or kits available at the moment.

I will not willingly get myself into doing kits ever again but I might be making some new controller boards in the next few months as my new DC controller will use the same board as a base.

No new speed selector boards will be made but with hindsight I think it was far more complex than it needed to be - a pair of 10k 25 turn pots and a switch would do you just as well.

You do not have my permission to copy the board design, I reserve the copyright.

The circuit design itself is public domain and you may design and make your own boards if you wish.

Thank you for the reply (and do not read this sarcastically),
It was not my intention to copy your design for any other purposes than to solve my own issue. My knowledge of electrical design and implementation is limited so it was a wild chance that your design (just the PCB and parts only, not for copying comercially) was available to purchase. I'm sorry than you do not have any additional PCB available to sell, I would have ordered. I would also like to express that I sincerly did not want to imply that I wanted to violiate your intellectual property. I know from past experences that all of the hard work and issues that arrive from solving interesting problems can be frustrating when someone else attemps to 'take credit'. There is enough information that is in the public domain for me (in time) to create something that I will be able to use.

sdsmith said:
Thank you for the reply (and do not read this sarcastically),
It was not my intention to copy your design for any other purposes than to solve my own issue. M

I'm sorry I came across so harshly.

I should explain my position better. The original drive was an article in Bas Horneman's DIY mag and so I consider it to be free for anyone to use (public domain).

I am re-using some of the design in my new controller which locks the motor speed to an externally generated clock. This will be offered commercially through an agent in Japan (and hopefully USA and Europe) and I would like to protect it as far as I can. Since the board layout is part of this design I would like to reserve all rights in it.

jwb said:
Hi, I don't want to rain on your parade of intellectual property but, at least in the USA, the design of a useful, tangible thing cannot be copyrighted. There is no such thing as either copyright or public domain for circuits nor board layouts.

You may well be right as IP laws vary all over the place but I understand that in Australia PCB layout is a protectable creative act. I believe that the US / Australian FTA means that the US recognises my rights.

One last heads up. The pullies are done and all faced off. I have been trying to get the shop manager to give me a final $ amount that should be paid for the work done. From our last conversation, my previous cost estimates should cover things. I will be moving ahead with invoicing as soon as I have a final total cost. This may begin this weekend. If not I should be able to start in on it next week.

DaveM

Maxon motor GP...

I missed out on superhkm’s Maxon motor #110191 group buy, and recently contacted MaxonMotorUSA to see what the availability was and heard back from a Chuck Fogleman who quoted me these prices:

Here are the price breaks for motor 110191 a-max 26mm

1 $250.00
2 $125.00 each
3-4 $106.70 each
5-19 $83.90 each

Based on current availability 1 motor could ship 2 days ARO PO from EAST
coast.

Terms: credit card or UPS COD

Regards,

Chuck Fogleman
650 697-9614 X 239

I just tried to reach Chuck but he is out of the office until Oct. 16 on vacation.

I am wondering if there would be enough interest for another group buy on these motors especially if we can get to the 5+ quantity.

I don’t have as much time these days to be on the net as I am on the road 11 days out of 14, constantly, but can call Chuck when I get back if there seems to be enough people to put this together?

If anyone who might be interested could post, I’ll or anyone could call Chuck when he gets back and we’ll see if we can get this worked out.

Stan

edit: I noticed he mentioned that these were for "110191 a-max 26mm" does anyone know if the (a-max 26mm) designation is correct?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.