Scalable PSU/regulator GB - Page 66 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2014, 06:59 AM   #651
wineds is offline wineds  Australia
diyAudio Member

All the best from me too bob!
Old 4th March 2014, 05:04 PM   #652
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I'm getting better but not as fast as I expected/hoped.
Old 2nd June 2015, 07:53 AM   #653
diyAudio Member

Default Current

Hi,

I build one of the PSU's from this project a couple of years ago. It is powering my Orion ASP/XO. I have just bought a DIY DAC from a kickstarter project that needs 15V 2A current and I wonder if the PSU is able to drive both the ASP/XO and DAC together. I cannot find the spec of the PSU and wonder if you remember how many ampere it can deliver.

I appreciate your help :-)

Yours sincerely,
Ketil
Old 2nd June 2015, 01:20 PM   #654
wineds is offline wineds  Australia
diyAudio Member

See post 647
Old 2nd June 2015, 03:42 PM   #655
diyAudio Member

There are two limiting factors, which can be overcome to deliver several amperes.

The first is the 1N4007 diodes used. They limit the current to approximately 500 mA. Replace them with higher current rectification and you beat that. PSU Designer shows that with a capacitive input filter the diodes see roughly double the output current as their RMS value.

The second limitation is dissipation in the pass transistors. Within reason you could mount them on flying leads to a a larger heat sink, or mount them to a substantial panel on the enclosure to increase heat rejection. If the flying leads are too long you may cause oscillation or noise pickup. To my thinking, an 30mm or so should be OK, but that's a gut feel. Depending on your application you may get away with more or not as much.
Old 2nd June 2015, 09:52 PM   #656
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobEllis View Post
There are two limiting factors, which can be overcome to deliver several amperes.

The first is the 1N4007 diodes used. They limit the current to approximately 500 mA. Replace them with higher current rectification and you beat that. PSU Designer shows that with a capacitive input filter the diodes see roughly double the output current as their RMS value.

The second limitation is dissipation in the pass transistors. Within reason you could mount them on flying leads to a a larger heat sink, or mount them to a substantial panel on the enclosure to increase heat rejection. If the flying leads are too long you may cause oscillation or noise pickup. To my thinking, an 30mm or so should be OK, but that's a gut feel. Depending on your application you may get away with more or not as much.
OK, thank you very much Bob, this was the answer I was looking for :-)

Hide this!Advertise here!