• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

PC Boards for v9?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter Daniel said:
Personally, I don't like to use any additional bypasses: a single quality cap is fine by itself.

Peter,

What would you recommend for C1? One could, conceivably, use a BG FK cap, but it looks too big (not to mention too expensive :bigeyes: ).

Also, when you say additional bypasses do you mean more than one bypass cap or no bypass caps?

Thanks.

Paul

The board was designed specifically for 10,000/63V Jensen caps. Those are pretty good caps, and should work well here.

As to the bypasses, I usually never find them as improvement. They surely influence tonality, but other aspects of presentation may suffer, that's why I prefer a single cap, no additional caps in parallel. Of course the single cap needs to be pretty good.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=285731#post285731

Attachments

• jen.jpg
    jen.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,401
Peter Daniel said:
The board was designed specifically for 10,000/63V Jensen caps. Those are pretty good caps, and should work well here.

Thanks, Peter. I'm glad to read the Jensen 4-Poles will work. Won't this require cutting the traces between the in and out connections on each side of the cap?

Could the same caps be used in the PS?

Lastly, if those are pretty good, what would be better? ;)

Paul

Cutting the traces is applicable only in PS not in coupling (as there are two active connections, not four).

Those caps will work well in PS as well; when I was experimenting with snubber and big supplies for GC, I preferred Jensens to both Elna Cerafina and Super Through Nichicons. However, they are quite expensive and I will end up with Nichicons in my PS.

What could be better? It depends on your taste, maybe BG N, but it's hard to say without trying.

If the amp is to be used in an active, multi-amp system, a much smaller cap value can be also used.

The Parts Connexion has a PACCOM 63v/15,000uF capacitor for $11.95. Has anyone used this capacitor? How does it compare to the Panasonic TSHA? Thanks.

And they also have the Jensen 4 pole for only $51.95 a piece:D

Today my heatsinks arrived together with the IRFP240 and some Dale resistors, al this was ordered from Schuro in Germany.
The heatsink measures 400x150x40, think that will be enough for one channel.

Regards

Attachments

• parts.jpg
    parts.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,196
GeWa said:

And they also have the Jensen 4 pole for only $51.95 a piece:D

Today my heatsinks arrived together with the IRFP240 and some Dale resistors, al this was ordered from Schuro in Germany.
The heatsink measures 400x150x40, think that will be enough for one channel.

Regards

I am guessing yours will run about 55 C with those pictured, although mine are about the size of yours, but they are heat sink tunnels, which I plan on using a very quiet fan. Ultimately, fanless would be great though.

My heatsinks are drilled and tapped ready to just add the heatsink compound and bolt the board and mosfets, and jfet into place.

I hoped to have mine up and running last Saturday, but my local parts store was closed for our National 4th of July Holiday weekend!! :(

But I now have everything, just need to bolt things together and I am sure by the end of this week for sure it will be up and running--maybe tonight, but I do not want to rush things until everything is rechecked to make sure there are no fireworks like our "USA Indepenence day" in my chassis!! :clown:

Is it too late to jump in?

I am interested in builing a single stereo amp and would certainly appreciate any help on how/where to buy the boards and components I need, along with any recommended reading to help sort out what the heck I am doing (a true newbie here, not a clue but ready to start scrambling up the knowledge curve ASAP).

Thanks,

Greg

Paul Ebert said:

What fan are you using?

Thanks.

Paul

I went to a computer water cooling forum and out of all of their 20 or so fans they compared, I went with their quietest fan that happened to be a 220 Volt AC fan made by Sunon model DP200A-2123XST.

It is a 120 mm fan that runs at half speed on 110 AC volts for those in the USA. Even at full speed it is very quiet. It does not have any annoying ticking or clicking sounds that a typical DC 120 mm computer fan has. I have tried both and prefer this AC fan, which will be able to hook directly up to the AC line. It is a lot cheaper than most computer fans too and is a lot more quiet than any of the quietest computer dc fans.

You can even wire a 3 watt pot with this fan to slow it down if it is too loud or add a 5 or so uF capacitor to speed it up for additional cooling.

I have it now mounted on my heat tunnel and found when it is in the back away from me, I can not really hear it across my 12 foot listening distance in my dead silent room with all of the windows shut and nothing running such as the central air or heater.

If you use the 3 watt pot and turn it down to about 900 rpm, you can not even hear it 3 feet away. Very impressive. I would say some toroid transformers are louder than this fan!!! Great for our over biased class A amps!!! :hot:

Here is what I bought.

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=997-2123

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=522-0049

Here is the direct quote about this fan and then the link to it.

"The Sunon DP200A-2123XST (2123XST) is a 240V AC fan and runs 1300-1350rpm on 120V. At this speed it makes more noise than the Globe Motors fans but only because of the higher RPM. Slowed down to around 900 rpm it is almost inaudible at 1 meter in open air and pushes a good amount of air. Even at the 1300rpm level it is much quieter than the Panaflo L1A DC brushless. Almost no motor or bearing noise, it is all airflow noise. Easily the best airflow vs noise ratio of the 120x25+mm lot. Probably one of the best 120mm fans available when undervolted. It has a better airflow to noise ratio than the Nexus (for a given airflow it's quieter than the nexus / for a given quietness it moves more air) and performs gloriously in restrictive environments. Reduce the RPM with a series resistor to desired level. For more information see ferdb's posts on page 2 and <this> thread by ferdb."

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/vi...&start=0&sid=7a13cd7203155b9aa08d587550c3743d]

Here is how to use the 3 watt pot or capacitors for additional cooling how to:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=17002

Regards, Bill :)

Re: No boards

MikeW said:
Since my boards got lost and nobody has any extras. Does anyone need some JFETs. I guess I won't be using them.:dead:

MikeW

I have an extra set of boards if LuckyLyndon changes his mind. He is in New york right now, so I will not be able to give an answer until he gets back about next week.

Sorry about your boards getting lost. :bawling:

Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.