high silver solder - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2006, 01:57 PM   #1
bevo538 is offline bevo538  United States
diyAudio Member

Default high silver solder

Hi everyone. I am new to diyAudio, which I know draws suspicion. But I have been an Audiogon member (ID = bevo) for a couple years and ebay for many years (texlonghorn538). I am curious in gauging interest in a group buy on some custom solder. In my "day job" I have a client who manufacturers solder commercially. Not a small boutique manufacturer, but a large commercial manufacturer. As a result of my relationship, I have asked them about the possibilty of custom blending an audiophile solder with 5% and even 7% silver content (no lead - although that is not necessary if leaded it preferred). Diameter is .047 inches. I will warn you now - it ain't cheap - $30/pound for 5% and $40/pound for 7% not including shipping costs. Also, this is solder, not brazing rods, but it still requires a high temperature iron.

Any interest? We need a minimum of 20 lbs. If we get this going, I need some guidance concerning how to actually coordinate payment, etc. I will handle the order and shipping to each of you. Thanks for the interest.

Any interest?
Old 5th March 2006, 02:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

sorry - my typing skills leave something to be desired. My ebay ID is texaslonghorn538. Sorry for the stupidity.
Old 8th April 2006, 01:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Exclamation UPDATED INFO !!!

UPDATE: I can now get this custom solder blend by the gram in 20 or 24ga diameter. I can also get it in any quantity, including single grams. For 5.5% Ag/94.5% Sn, the cost is $12/gram. If there is any further interest, please feel free to email me at lmheim@excite.com. Thanks.
Old 9th April 2006, 04:43 PM   #4
konst is offline konst  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to konst
Default Solder Price

Hi, I am interested in buying some of this, can you tell what the final price is per pound?

Cheers
Old 12th April 2006, 11:17 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default revised pricing

Thanks for the interest. Here is the final pricing I have come up with based on the different suppliers and the skyrocketing cost of silver over the past months. Of course, shipping would be extra, but I would not charge a thing for "handling" or packaging - when I use ebay, I only charge the actual postage cost and nothing more.

For the small quantity production order, the price for 5.5 Ag/94.5 Sn 20 AWG is US$20 per ounce (av) and US$150 per pound. This is completely hand made/hand drawn solder. This price is less than 50% of Audio Note solder, which has a lower Ag content.

For the large quantity production (minimum 20 pounds) - it turns out that my supplier and I did not communicate well to each other originally and the original pricing I posted above is not correct. I apologize for that. I know, I know - my cred has gone down the toilet, but at least I am being honest and am taking blame/responsbility for my part..... Anyway, the correct pricing per pound of 5.5 Ag/94.5 Sn 20 AWG in this case is US$115. BUT that pricing is only available if I make a minimum order of 20 pounds AND they will only produce it in pound rolls.

I have recently done some testing with an Ag/Sn blend of various percentages that exceed 5.5% and it is my opinion that - while sonic benefits may exist at higher Ag levels - the workability of the solder itself becomes problematic at normal soldering temps. I have found that it does not flow easily and becomes quite grainy and brittle (I mean physically - not the resulting audio quality). The finish is frequently not nice, round and smooth either. I have even used a direct flame torch and still experience negative issues. But this is simply my personal opinion.

Feel free to contact me with further questions, comments or interest. Thank you.
Old 14th April 2006, 05:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

check this out, they are selling almost the same q solder that you are proposing, but at a seriously reduced price of 26 GBP (approx $45) per peround.

I know this is not quite the same spec, but appears to be a bargain nonetheless

link
Old 15th April 2006, 01:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Agreed - it is close, ableit most audio purists I have talked with do prefer copper-less solder. Is the difference worth the added cost? I can't answer that for other folks. Why is AudioNote solder priced at more than twice my price, yet it has a lower silver content? This company you refer to is geared toward making this stuff at mass volumes so their cost is far lower than what I can compete with. If I had demand for the product that would allow me to order this in hundred pound lots - rather than the minimum lots - my price would go down drastically. Chicken or the egg..... Overall, my proposition may simply not be viable, but that is what I wanted to find out by posting this inquiry. Thanks for the feedback - it is valuable.
Old 15th April 2006, 02:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

looks like i got my figures wrong, its actually GBP12.99 per 500g, which is about $25.

Hide this!Advertise here!