• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

EU: Adire 15" group buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a request for expressions of interest.

Some time ago I looked into an OEM purchase of Tempests, it seems Adire are now ready to supply and although my interests have moved on somewhat, I would still like to get my hands on some 15" subs at a good price.

Being OEM, the order will be for 1 design only. I was intending to go for an exact copy of the Tempest parameters but with a 12spoke Al basket. However I could go up or down the range to fit the group buy desires. And we could change/tweak the parameters, although personally I prefer not to for a group buy.

The saving on this group buy is likely to be speculative, as retail prices in USA are not yet established, let alone Europe. My target for this buy would be to deliver to your door for less than MSRP (USA), ie less than $250 for the (upgraded) 'Tempest'.

If we get above 12 subs, I will start the detailed costings and put up a Wiki. (I'm in for 4 Tempest, D4 or D8).

http://www.adireaudio.com/Mobile/index.htm lists all 6 Adire subs.

I agree. At $250 each you have a variety of products to chose from, some of which would outperform a Tempest. If you call Adire and get some concrete pricing based on volume, you may get some takers.

Ascendant Audio should be near to releasing their products. Potential there as well if what Chad says about low pricing turns out to be true...

Mark

Andrew, spec changes don't add much (eg $8 for the upgraded basket). I didn't get a quote for anything above min qty 12. Note: I included $30 for european delivery in my estimate.

Hooha, you probably don't understand European prices. When they appear at $400 in our dealers $250 won't seem so expensive.

Chad at Ascendant wasn't very interested in giving me a good discount when I tried before, but I could try him again in the context of a group buy.

Hi,
european importers seem to be greedy in converting US goods prices from $ to £.
This is based on many types of consumer goods, not just speakers.

Is there an importing dealer listening who has the evidence and is willing to share that same evidence with us, to show that my contention is untrue?

jimbo1968 said:

Hooha, you probably don't understand European prices. When they appear at $400 in our dealers $250 won't seem so expensive.

Chad at Ascendant wasn't very interested in giving me a good discount when I tried before, but I could try him again in the context of a group buy.

Gee, that's really too bad... on both counts. Would you be able to share how importing works over there? Would there be a difference if said products were mailed from a household in North America, rather than coming straight from a manufacturer?

I'm not sure if mentioning a DIYAudio group buy to any manufacturer/reseller would be beneficial. It might be best simply requesting volume pricing.

Mark

On an individual import we pay about 10% import tax and 17% VAT, and at least one of those is on the postage as well, and then there's the fee for the collection of the tax....

And of course postage is not cheap on a 15kg sub.

As to the re-posting idea, organising a mass criminal avoidance of tax on a public forum is probably not a good idea, probably breaks forum rules as well! It may not even work, C&E may not believe the value is only $40 and that would probably lead to a fine on top of the tax.

The best bet to avoid all that is by carrying one back from your holiday!

jimbo1968 said:
I included $30 for european delivery in my estimate.
I had a quote from Adire in the past for the Tumult (21.8kg) for $300. $30 is probably far too optimistic Jim.

AndrewT said:
Hi,
european importers seem to be greedy in converting US goods prices from $ to £.
This is based on many types of consumer goods, not just speakers.

Is there an importing dealer listening who has the evidence and is willing to share that same evidence with us, to show that my contention is untrue?
Andrew, as above the shipping weight plays a huge role. Plus customs tax, and VAT, not to mention the effort, and capital requirements bearing in mind our much smaller market than the US. Plus handling returns would be a nightmare considering the weight. Hence the cost although ridiculous on the face of it, is somewhat justified.

But even I'm cheesed that it's cheaper to buy top Danish drivers cheaper in the US and have them shipped over!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.