• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

High voltage, high current super regulator, possible group buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You star ground the raw supply at its output, the Regulators and the audio circuit. The + or - leg becomes the output ground depending on which polarity you want. I've noticed an improvement in low level detail and "air" when I get rid of RF anywhere in a PS design. Galo and Jan Didden use this setup for the raw supply of any Super Reg they build.

boxedin said:
I will buy variable regulated power supply for 50v , 20A rating. Can you make it modular ? So we can even make Lab style power supply with it?.
First: 20 A and 50 volts, have you thought this over? What kind of amp is this and what kind of load do you have?

This regulator will not be particulary well suited for lab power supply. You have quite different demands and ultra low noise and ultra high speed is massive overkill.

Quite frankly, a warm wife is better than a warm class A amplifier (although some may beg to differ).

"It" is an HP6129 high current power supply -- "it" will probably do 300-500 watts continuously, day and night for years -- these were used by the auto companies and aerospace. The design is basically a computer controlled (early 1980's) 15 bit DAC and voltage amplifier -- rails are +/- 95, with an additional windings for the operational amplifiers etc. I bought a bunch of them during the internet post-mortem -- the least expensive was $1.00 but I had to drive 2 hours to get it as the fellow wouldn't ship it. You can adjust each bit on the DAC manually.

Re: tube

Jaap said:
a superregulator for use in a tube amp would be great

Because the Jung SuperRegulator uses a high speed op amp as an AD825 or AD797 "full blast" (without any compensation) it's not really likely that all of the impedance characteristics could be replicated -- I think that Janneman should opine.

you can lift the opamp above ground with Zener diodes -- as Audio Research did in their SP8 --

Re: Re: tube

jackinnj said:
Because the Jung SuperRegulator uses a high speed op amp as an AD825 or AD797 "full blast" (without any compensation) it's not really likely that all of the impedance characteristics could be replicated
Let's say we have 7-15 volts voltage reference this mean that the DC gain will land between 3-10 and the AC gain down to 1. This will create _pretty_ low output impedance I'd say. :nod:

jackinnj said:
you can lift the opamp above ground with Zener diodes -- as Audio Research did in their SP8 --
I'm not totally happy to introduce "noise generators" if I don't have to.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.