• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Soft switch version 2 anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Soft Switch with Soft Start

Hi Rob,

I got all 4 of my soft switch and soft start boards finished. The soft switch boards are all working perfectly. I wanted to check with you to be sure that the soft starts are also working properly though.

They all do exactly the same thing when testing under no load conditions (just using a DMM to measure output voltage):

As soon as I turn on the soft switch, the soft start output jumps rapidly to full voltage before the relay trips. The pot adjustment for the delay works.....the delay of the relay is adjustable. But there is no change in the output voltage when the relay trips since it is already up to full input voltage.

Does this sound like they are working properly? Since the purpose is to limit current rather than voltage, my measurements may not mean anything?

Thanks! These are nice little switches.

Robert:) :)

Re: Soft Switch with Soft Start

rjkdivin said:
As soon as I turn on the soft switch, the soft start output jumps rapidly to full voltage before the relay trips. The pot adjustment for the delay works.....the delay of the relay is adjustable. But there is no change in the output voltage when the relay trips since it is already up to full input voltage.

Robert, this is a normal measurement. It as a voltage divider with 25 ohms in series, and 10 Meg shunt resistor (typical Rin of DMM). Vout=Vin*[10M/(25+10M)] => Vout=Vin.

The way to tell that the soft start is working properly is to listen for the delay of the latching relay.

--Rob

Re: Re: Soft Switch with Soft Start

Maxhawk said:

Robert, this is a normal measurement. It as a voltage divider with 25 ohms in series, and 10 Meg shunt resistor (typical Rin of DMM). Vout=Vin*[10M/(25+10M)] => Vout=Vin.

The way to tell that the soft start is working properly is to listen for the delay of the latching relay.

--Rob

Thanks Rob.....everything seems to be working properly on all four sets.

Robert

Maxhawk said:

With or without components stuffed? If you need it with, I can get you one when I return back to the States after 4/19. Or maybe someone can take one for you.

I hope you can or Some one can because i'm having a hard time building this thing with lack of instructions and parts id.

jleaman said:

I hope you can or Some one can because i'm having a hard time building this thing with lack of instructions and parts id.

Did I not include schematics, layouts, bill of materials, and assembly drawings in the package? If you don't have them, I apologize for forgetting them. You can find them on my site:

http://www.robcheng.com

Click on Audio -> Electronics -> Soft Switch V2

You sent me a bill of material's but it does not show what part is witch.

example resistor 1003 means what ? or 1001

Also on the corner of the pcb it says r8 510 and looking at r8 on the x-cell sheet i see

R7, R8 Resistor 1K 5% SMD 1206 Panasonic

So im a little confused :) if i could see the bottom of some ones that works Id be happy.. Im going to stop tonight. So far i have a few 22k resistors mounted.and the 7812 and the bridge rectifier.

On another note i see this on the x-cell sheet

R1, R2, R6, R9, R10, R12 Resistor 22K 5% SMD 1206 Panasonic ERJ-8GEYJ223V

but on the board r6 says 1k. Soo.....

Maxhawk said:
Ok, I must have forgotten to include a sheet that's titled "General Information for Soft Switch Kit". This includes instructions on reading the resistor markings, as well as the silkscreen error.

Just emailed it to you.

what about R8 ?

On the board it says 510. then on the xcell it says Resistor 1K 5% SMD 1206.

another question.

Resistor 1MEG 5% SMD 1206
Resistor 100K 5% SMD 1206

How do i figure out what value is what ?

:0 i ask only, this way i dont cry saying please send me new board i killed this one :)

Pics

These pictures may or may not help....I made them about as big as I thought would upload okay.

This is the soft switch and softstart wired together and using the lighted momentary contact switch. They work great....this set is going into my Krell KSA50 clone.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

what about R8 ?

On the board it says 510. then on the xcell it says Resistor 1K 5% SMD 1206.

R8 is the series resistor for the switch LED. You can change the value to adjust the brightness so the value is not critical. But you don't want to make it too small causing too much current to flow. My excel sheet says R8 is 510 ohms. Just checked the version on the website and it's an old version. I'll fix it now.

another question.

Resistor 1MEG 5% SMD 1206
Resistor 100K 5% SMD 1206

How do i figure out what value is what ?

I don't understand the question. The values are in the description. The first one is 1 megaohm and the 2nd is 100K.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.