Pearl phono PCBs Group Buy - Page 67 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2008, 07:07 PM   #661
smario is offline smario  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to smario Send a message via MSN to smario Send a message via Yahoo to smario
Default Re: OK

Quote:
Originally posted by Alabama978
I'll connect to the MM stage and try when I have it finished but have a few components to solder yet. I have not had too much time lately to work on it which makes me quite depressed as I would like to compare it to my existing Project Tube Box.

Best wishes for New Year
Just solder Rx (250 ohms up to 1K) and try. I think you will be satisfied. Your tube box will have a dificult time competing with pearl. In my case pearl won by miles over tube box, and in my friend case, Audio Research PH3 lost the battle with pearl.

Happy New Year
Old 30th December 2008, 07:19 PM   #662
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Your tube box will have a difficult time competing with pearl. In my case pearl won by miles over tube box, and in my friend case, Audio Research PH3 lost the battle with pearl.
I hope that is the case as I really will be pleased to improve on the Tube box though as a valve lover I think the Pearl may sound a lot different to my ears at first.
Old 30th December 2008, 07:31 PM   #663
GKU is offline GKU  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

You will probaply be surprised, because the Pearl sounds much more like tube than solid state.

Rgds

Gerd
Old 30th December 2008, 07:47 PM   #664
diyAudio Member

Prima Gerd, Das Gefallt Mir

Soldering iron may just get switched on tomorrow
Old 2nd January 2009, 02:17 PM   #665
sts9fan is offline sts9fan  United States
diyAudio Member

Unhappy another grounding question

I am ready to start building my pearl/MC phono stage. I am still a bit confused on how to ground it.

Here is what I think I should do. Please correct me where I am wrong.

Connect all inputs and outputs to star ground. Can the ground lug be the star point? Then connect the boards to the star also. Which points from the Pearl and MC boards need to be connected to star?

Star is also connected to earth gnd through the umbilical? How do you ground the chassis of the amp stage? Do you run the grounds from the PS through the umbilical to the star and to chassis? So the gnd is connected to the PS chassis and the amp chassis?

I am confused.
Thanks for the help
Kris
Old 6th January 2009, 12:55 PM   #666
diyAudio Member

anyone interested a mini plitron group buy? I need four others to meet the min order.
http://www.plitron.com/shopping/sear...17201&x=7&y=31
Old 6th January 2009, 03:18 PM   #667
Evaas is offline Evaas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: another grounding question

Quote:
Originally posted by sts9fan
I am ready to start building my pearl/MC phono stage. I am still a bit confused on how to ground it.

Here is what I think I should do. Please correct me where I am wrong.

Connect all inputs and outputs to star ground. Can the ground lug be the star point? Then connect the boards to the star also. Which points from the Pearl and MC boards need to be connected to star?

Star is also connected to earth gnd through the umbilical? How do you ground the chassis of the amp stage? Do you run the grounds from the PS through the umbilical to the star and to chassis? So the gnd is connected to the PS chassis and the amp chassis?

I am confused.
Thanks for the help
Kris
from the article on passdiy:
"The two isolated supplies will ultimately have their Grounds meet each
other, and the best place to accomplish this is at the output. If this
preamp is constructed with two channels in the chassis and an external
supply, then the grounds should meet at the output connectors. These
output connectors should be close together, and attach to chassis
ground at this point."
Old 8th January 2009, 10:59 PM   #668
diyAudio Member

yeah I have read that but it just is not detailed enough for my dumbass. Can someone post detail pictures of their grounding? I see pictures like in post #610 and it does not look to me like any special grounding is done.
Old 8th January 2009, 11:19 PM   #669
diyAudio Member

That's my preamp in post #610

And you're right, I did nothing special in regards to grounding. The PSU is dual mono, and at no point do the grounds come together, nor were there any star grounds.

My amps have star grounds though, so there is a point in the chain where the grounds come together (eg, my headphone amp has a star ground with all signal grounds going to that point, while my power amp has its 0V rails tied to safety earth via a thermistor).
Old 9th January 2009, 12:22 PM   #670
diyAudio Member

ok then whats the deal with post #64 in this thread?
Pearl MC Pre-Preamp

where is the yellow wire connecting on the pcb? Why would he have two gnd lugs? This does not seem like the two channels ever meet. why?

I have a star gnd in my power amp and it is nice and quiet so maybe I do not need it here. It makes sence becuase they are all connected.
As for a gnd lug. IF I do not do full blown star gnd could I just connect the point where PS and signal meet on the pcb(C15?), the "star-star1" connection on the MC section and safety/chassis gnd to the lug?

Thanks for the help
Kris

Hide this!Advertise here!