The "buck an ohm" group buy - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2005, 06:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to yldouright Send a message via Yahoo to yldouright
Default The "buck an ohm" group buy

I recently came across some surplus Yageo 5W 1/2 wirewound resistors and the seller wants $100 for the lot of 200. Since I'm going to be matching them for my own amp, you'll be getting resistors that should be accurate to the milliohm. Are these any good and if so, is anyone interested in taking a piece of this?
Old 26th January 2005, 03:01 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to yldouright Send a message via Yahoo to yldouright
Just to update. I bought the whole lot and am in the process of matching them. They are 5W non-inductive wirewounds in a ceramic case. They fit into the hifi Zen Aleph-X boards and are the perfect source resistors for those 8 FET versions. They're also quite useful for you RC power supply builders who need a 20W tolerant scrubbing
Old 26th January 2005, 04:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

With a low resistance value resistor it is best to use a multimeter with 4 wire ohms measurements if you have access to one so you can negate the resistance of the multimeter leads. Of course, if you are just matching the resistors without regard of it's absolute value it don't make a hill of beans.
Old 11th February 2005, 03:17 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BassAwdyO
How can wirewound resistors be non inductive?
Old 13th February 2005, 02:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to raidfibre
I believe they are wound half in one direction and half the opposite direction so the magnetic fields cancel out.
Old 15th February 2005, 04:11 AM   #6
Coulomb is offline Coulomb  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raidfibre
I believe they are wound half in one direction and half the opposite direction so the magnetic fields cancel out.

That would not be so much a cancellation effect as a phase reversal effect. The winding pattern you refer to would be like to inductors in series, one with a left hand twist and one with a right hand twist. Cancellation requires two seperate coils with seperate twiist around a common core. They share the input and output leads so each coil is a seperate resistor, a non magnetic resistor is two resistors in parralel both are inductive thay just generate opposite fileds simultanously and cancel each other simultaneously. It would be impossible to have a coil that is non inductive, so make two inductive coils to cancel each other.

Regards

Anthony

Hide this!Advertise here!