• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group Buy idea: PEC carbon pot (The P. D. recommended one)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I thought I would post this here since a lot of you use pots with you chip amps. I am trying to organize a group buy for the new PEC pots that Peter Dainel so highly recommended ( found *HERE* ).

There is one place I found that sells them for $50 + $7 for shipping ( found *HERE* ).

So far I'm looking at a stereo pot, 10% precision, 10K ohms, log taper, SS shaft & case, with gold plated terminals. We need to get 30 for the price to be ~ $37. Shipping ~ $5 which = about a $15 savings. If we could get 50 or 100, the price will be even lower!

Let me know what you guys think as well as any suggestions. I may also be able to break up the order such as 15 x 10K pots, 10 x 20K pots, & 5 x 50K pots... you get the idea :)

Thanks,
-CHRiS

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attachments

• pec.jpg
    pec.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,974
I'd be interested a group buy, but can we get a discount price directly from PEC?

I'm not sure about the spec of the stock pots, but looks like Brian Cherry may have specced tighter tracking tolerance on the ones he's selling.

Anyone have tracking problems with these?

Also, I'd be more interested in the 1M value for use with a faking resistor, myself.

KT

dw1narso said:
I found it is cheaper to get the PEC on this site:

I called Electrosonic and KK pots are available from them:
http://www.e-sonic.com/acc/products.aspx?partID=2RV7NYSD253A&partIDExt=352&command=detail

http://www.e-sonic.com/acc/products...rol&groupname=Resistor-Variable/Potentiometer

10pcs price is $27.60 and when you go over 40 pcs. the price goes down to $22 . The lead time is 1 month. All prices in CAD.

When I called PEC, they quoted me $80 for a single pot and something like $40 for 10 pcs.

BTW, both PEC and Electrosonic are located in Toronto;)

Hi Chris,

"Let me know what you guys think as well as any suggestions. I may also be able to break up the order such as 15 x 10K pots, 10 x 20K pots, & 5 x 50K pots... you get the idea"

what about other value?

Hi Peter Daniel,

beside the 50K Log that you try, have you try other value (10K, 25K, 100K, 250K) and type (linear/log) and faked linear pot?

What do you think about 500K linear pot + 22K law-faking resistor (as available on the Brian kit) will be good?

I see that Mr. KYW suggesting law-faked linear pot will be better than log one, and he suggest highis valued pot...

Actually I'm worry whether my CD player (Meracus Tanto, which only has 1.2Volt output, not a common 2.0Volt) will be able to drive such a high value... (500K or 1M)...

Thanks,
---
David

Why not mono pots

I switched to PEC pots a little while back. I bought 5 25K mono log pots at 9 something each. Was able to match 2 exactly, and two more at 100 hms, which is 0.4 %. The two used seem track perfectly.
I really wanted some 50K stereo log pots to parallel to make a 25K mono pot. The the mono pots seem to work fine. I think to get a good match it will require purchasing a handfull of stereo to get 1% match.
As a side, the taper on these is different than others tried. It is much more gradual on the low end. It is the exact opposite to the normal hair trigger pot. But once past about half way open the volume comes up fast.
I really like mono pots. With my DIY skills the ability to shut off one channel to locate a problem is handy.

George

To Peter which of is better

Hi Peter,

which one of the 25K log and 50K log is better? On Brian's GC, as a passive...

also when you try pot (both pot cases), did you remove/unremove the 20K/22K (R2) shunt resistor?

Off topic, I found that on the schematic (as on Brian's nigc_kit-users_guide.pdf) the R2 is placed (shunted to the ground) in front of R1 (grid stopper? as in tube amp design to reduce oscillation?) while on the board, I found that R2 is placed after the R1. Is there any reason for this?

REgards,
---
David

thanks then... Peter...

maybe I should hunt for available various cheap pots locally and try the combinations by myself before change it with a serious one... like PEC

(I say "hunt" because in Indonesia, DIY-ing is very uncommon. It is very difficult to find linear pots and pots of smaller values like 10K or 25K. Even toroids, I have to buy from Singapore...)

I'm going to open a thread regarding my burning in GC experiences and questions that I will sure need your help again... I wonder whether the pot is part of my GC experience/problem...

Regards,
---
David

KT- "I'm not sure about the spec of the stock pots, but looks like Brian Cherry may have specced tighter tracking tolerance on the ones he's selling."

Where are the ones Brian Cherry has for sale? I think PEC only specs 10% & 20% ones.

Peter-"When I called PEC, they quoted me $80 for a single pot and something like $40 for 10 pcs."

That's exactly where I got the price for 30 pieces. I thought it wasn't bad compared to the $50 ones but after looking at some other sites I would think it would be better.

dw1narso-"what about other value?"

I can get others as well. Let me know what # values.

-----------------

Panelhead - That point has been brought up about buying mono pots from Digi-Key since they are ~$10 & matching them but you found out 1st hand the down side to that :)

Peter - Do you think the 25K would be better for the GC's?

Thanks guys & I'll keep checking on them!!! :)
-CHRiS

Cdoggy,

Brian Cherry sells them at DIY HiFi Supply:

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_dact_switches.htm

Here is Brian's quote about the tolerence. This is what I was referring to:

"These are specially ordered with 10% tolerance (standard tolerance is 20%)."

Does someone sell them stock with 10% tolerance? Looks like Electrosonic does from the links Peter provided.

If a group order is put together, I'd be interested in the 25k and 100k log pots. If any 1 meg linear tapers are ordered, I'd be interested in that, too.

Electrosonic seems to have the best prices. The KK pots are stereo?

KT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.