• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Aleph-X pcb groupbuy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Sander, I totally missed it when I reread the thread.

Say, what type of parts are you guys planning on using? I think I may do it up on this one. For my Zen IV is used the recommended parts at Digikey but on this one I think I will use Holco H8 for the .25W resistors and Mills MRA-5 for the power resistors. For the capacitors I will use Blackgate type N caps for the 220uF and Nichicon in the power supply. I have asked Victoria Magnetics for a quote on the toroidal power transformers for 750 VA with dual 18 volt secondaries. I am undecided on the rectifiers though. I am ordering 4 rectifier board kits from Bigparsnip but I have 2 pairs of Ixys bridges in the parts bin. I guess I will decide later. I have no clue what caps to use for the 10pF caps so maybe someone can suggest something. And lastly I have 2 sets of 12 matched 244"s and 2 matched pairs of 9610's thanks to Matteyo5 What do you guys plan to use?

What do you guys plan to use?

I plan on building a 4 channel...I know, I know..a heat monster. I am going to use the Iron transformer in pic. An easy 3kva item. it has primaries that allow a few voltages including 20+20. Tranny will be shielded in copper in the chassis.(I have an uncle that specializes in copper roofing!) I'm prob gonna locate some 53a Ixys bridges.

A lot of guys prob won't like this idea...but...I have 4 - 7"x15" heatsinks that I'm considering arrainging in a 'wind tunnel' configuration. I have some 24 volt 6" brushless fans that are super quiet at 7-10v or so, and don't seem to need a kickstart.

Yeah, a hairdrier.:hot:

Probably use 12 IRFP244 per channel ? Transformer has only one set of secondaries but will run 2 bridges per 2 channel amp with around 100,000uf per amp.

I probably won't get too 'high end' on most of the components as I am quite frankly - cheap. :cannotbe:

This will probably only take me a few years to get done....
Marc

Attachments

• picture.gif
    picture.gif
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,003
I certainly have no problem with anybody using a fan. Your heatsinks will probably be cooler than mine. One question for you though. Are you going to run your amp at 220 VAC input? With 4 channels you will be close to exceeding 15 amps draw from your ac line at 120 VAC. You will also have to think about the enormous current that will be required at power up. Other than that, I always think bigger is better:D

Yes, well..120v would be used. Do you really think I will be looking at 15a continuous? I am aware I will be looking at solid continuous draw..but...I didn't realize it that high. Maybe I should have pulled out my calculator for a moment. ......

Kilowatski..thanks for pointing that out

With 20 vac secondaries and a simple capacitive filter of 100000uF you should have about 26 volt rails. you will be dissipating 1248 watts of heat alone. Get the Aleph X AXE-1 speadsheet and it will do the calculation for you. If the cumulative thermal resistance of your heatsinks were 0.1w/degrees C (which is terrific by the way) the temperature of the sinks would be 291 degrees F. I think you should also look into heavy duty water cooling because your power transistors would self destruct in a few minutes. Seriously, if you still decide to do 4 channels I suggest 4 separate chassis so the heat can be managed a whole lot easier.

Price update as of 21:st of October:

Driver/ccs board would cost 3USD/pc
Mainboard would cost 8USD/pc

However even more people have signed up after i sent the request for a quote so the prices are probably going to drop even more. Also the quote i got had separate shipping costs for both the mainboard and the driver/ccs, and i have now asked to ship both boards in the same package so this should also cut costs.

Thx,

Kari

I have also been offered gold plating and that would cost a additional 5%. Mainboard 8*1.05 = 8.40USD and for the driver/ccs 3*1.05 = 3.15USD.

This would then be done on the whole order, ie. you cannot choose if you want goldplated or not.

What do you think about this? It would for sure look cool with red soldermask and goldplated pads.

/Kari

Hi,

Gold plated looks fine to me. It probably only improve the looks, and the price isn't that much higher.

Does somebody know good information about a Power supply for the Aleph X? If read many many threads but I can't properly select good psu from bad psu's. I'm planning on ~75W in 4 Ohms. CLC, CRC, etc? :xeye:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.